What type of bike for main transport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's kind of cute @Nibor Sort of like a Raleigh Twenty shopper on steroids. Wouldn't mind one, perfect for here.

OP
OP
Seigi

Seigi

Thanks for all the suggestions - as requested some more info on myself - I'm 27 (why was age important? Because of cool factor? ^_^ ), would classify myself as moderately fit, mileage probably no more than 2000mi a year not including leisure (I live in a little city so my commute is only 4mi a day, if that), don't really want to be spending more than £1,000.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far though, it's given me something to mull over

KneesUp

Guru
A few weeks ago I have said that my old MTB with slicks and drops was the perfect do it all bike. I commute on it. I ride it on the road, and I ride it on bridleways. It takes a load no problem. However I’ve just bough a 20” folder and although it’s not as nice to ride it’s so, so useful to be able to put it on public transport that I think that if I could only have one bike and not own a car, I’d be tempted to make it my Dahon.

how about one of the new tribans from decathlon. they have a road and gravel version that both have rack mounts etc. both will take a decent tyre to make those paths a little more bearable. the gearing should be ok but you would need to check.

I think the cheapest is £520 ish that may leave enough for your second bike.

they look good in the flesh too.

Edit, just looked at the cost of the folder up thread so the triban May take you over budget but I’m sure decathlon do a folder but it may not be cool enough for a 27 year old :laugh:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
why was age important? Because of cool factor?

Because it's one of the many factors that might leave you disinclined to select drop handlebars, which in turn would have a bearing on the type of bike.

As it goes youre and healthy, which opens up a range of possibilities.

In your position I'd side with the folk above who are recommending a touring oriented bike. Liable the most comfortable, nicer on road than a gravel or adventure bike, and able to handle occasional jaunts along unmettaled routes. I'd chuck in a trailer for shopping, unless you're a small eater or have Fortnum's deliver it to you.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
how about one of the new tribans from decathlon. they have a road and gravel version that both have rack mounts etc. both will take a decent tyre to make those paths a little more bearable. the gearing should be ok but you would need to check.

I think the cheapest is £520 ish that may leave enough for your second bike.

they look good in the flesh too.
As long as you don't want to have to change wheels get the tyres on and off apparently according to @beany_bot

Sounds like a pita if only bike!

As long as you don't want to have to change wheels get the tyres on and off apparently according to @beany_bot

Sounds like a pita if only bike!

apparently so but id still have a look. tyres can be upgraded before you take it out of the shop to something more robust. after all, if this is the only bike, then robust they should be.

vickster

Legendary Member
apparently so but id still have a look. tyres can be upgraded before you take it out of the shop to something more robust. after all, if this is the only bike, then robust they should be.
It's not the tyres but the wheels/rims

Even marathon plus tyres puncture (not that I'd want to be lugging those around on the bike as well as my shopping :biggrin: )

Don't think gravel bikes are designed for front racks generally either?

It's not the tyres but the wheels/rims

Even marathon plus tyres puncture (not that I'd want to be lugging those around on the bike as well as my shopping :biggrin: )

Don't think gravel bikes are designed for front racks generally either?

they do have the mounts for them, so it'd be a waste to not use them ^_^

I was thinking more that the stock tyres on the road versions may not be quite 'woman' enough to last too long (woman reference in regards @Dragos latest thread)

vickster

Legendary Member
they do have the mounts for them, so it'd be a waste to not use them ^_^

I was thinking more that the stock tyres on the road versions may not be quite 'woman' enough to last too long (woman reference in regards @Dragos latest thread)
No idea what you're talking about there I'm afraid

Top Bottom