What type of driver do you fear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
other cyclists.

had one pull onto a roundabout that i was already on, she held her line and stopped me from getting my exit (fork was level with her seat tube) as i can't brake on corners without coming upright for a bit and her line was forcing me to stick to a tight turn.

chav's on mopeds, they come past deliberately fast, weaving and close then wonder who just shouted very loudly behind them :thumbsup:

people who pull out infront of you and don't get on with it, another person who was slightly surprised to hear a cyclist shout loud enough for him to hear it in his metal box

"bloody floor it" incase you wanted to know what i shouted :tongue:

Joe24 said:
Oh yeh, i got 2 bikes in the back of my mums 206::thumbsup:
I reckon i could have got another 1 in the back.
Id love to show a pic of the car with the kayak and canoe ontop, but not sure if we have one.:tongue:
Thats the 206 aswell:laugh:

i'll try and find the four mountain bikes in an original mini with canadian canoe on the roof

got us to the lake district while others got the train :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Black Sheep said:
i'll try and find the four mountain bikes in an original mini with canadian canoe on the roof

got us to the lake district while others got the train :thumbsup:

Legend:thumbsup:
Someone i used to canoe with, would take her canadian canoe ontop of her mini(the new mini though, not the old one) and it was a 17" one.
I used to just carry mine from the canoe club racks instead:laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Joe24 said:
Legend:thumbsup:
Someone i used to canoe with, would take her canadian canoe ontop of her mini(the new mini though, not the old one) and it was a 17" one.
I used to just carry mine from the canoe club racks instead:laugh:

A 17 inch canoe? Was that not a bit cramped?

:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh and in terms of drivers, I think I'd want to erradicate aggression as opposed to incompetence (if I can't erradicate both). You can't always avoid someone who is incompetent, but you can do a lot to watch for them and act defensively or give them a wide berth. Once someone is being deliberately dangerous, you have less chance...

GilesM

Legendary Member
Strangely, in recent times the only other road user I have had to take drastic action to avoid when I have been cycling was a guy on an electric bike.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well this morning it was a coach who didn't leave enough room to pull back into the kerb I had to stop (with lots of swear words at that point) Got my own back as he had been so desperate to pass me to get to the set of lights that had just turned red - so over took him and the car infront to get safely into the ASL knowing I was going to turn off down a cycle lane before he could overtake again. Why did he bother.

tyred

Legendary Member
I actually think nervous drivers are the worst. The type that sit behind you even when you hold in and the road is completely clear and then they will probably try and overtake just as the guy behind does and pull out in front of him and panic, pull in again and almost hit me. I've had it a few times. If people want to overtake and the road is clear, just get on with it. It's safer for everybody.

yello

badkitty said:
Young women in slightly battered cars who are always talking/texting or checking their make up in the mirror...always going too damn fast for the road and are constantly surprised to find anyone or anything else also using it.

Whilst problems can arise from any type, the young women drivers are often the ones that I find myself on spidey sense extra-full alert with. Some seem to have an inability to slow down and I often see them as locked-in to the task of steering, be it at a gap or around an object... the thought that slowing down might make the task easier seems to have bypassed them.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Taxi drivers.

Especially when they've just collected and dropped their first fare off a train and are dashing back to the station in the hope of collecting a second before the rush dies down.

Hi to you all.This is my 1st input to the forum.Please save you insults untill you really believe I deserve them(After I am a statistic in the HM&D column of the Liverpool Echo)or 28days of no inputs(created or responded to).
The type of driver that I fear is the one that does not give sufficient passing clearence and re-aligns your elbow with their mirror; without anaesthetic-because he/she did not see you untill it was to late,even though you are riding with High-Vis clothing.The mobile phone user is noted by Registration Number & reported to the now very helpfull Traffic Police.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, the ones that don't look. One did some damage to me that still isn't fixed.

Had some lass pull away from the lights today, we've gone 400 yards, wide road, I'm behind, then, no signals, just drifts over and stops..... I'm on the brakes, then she looks in the mirror and realises what she has just done, puts her hands up, as I go round her, sticks her hand out and 'sorry'....fortunately I said "will you watch where you are going"...no swearing.....phew.... genuinely sorry.

Top Bottom