What type of driver do you fear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I hate polls as they invariably leave at least one relevant category out so as my recent "incident" was finally resolved today, it set me to ponder the following; as a cyclist, which type of driver do you most fear?

White van man

Boy racer

Blinged-up laughably pathetic 1.1-engined shed full of rowdy yoods

4X4

Arrogant "executive" car driver

Old Fred/Elsie who only drives once a month, if that

Something/one else.

I know you should never, ever generalise* and 99.9% of drivers are very good and courteous but the eradication of which category of vehicle driver would do most to make life more pleasurable for you when you are a cyclist?

* yes, this is intentional, thenk yew.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
middle-aged men. Odd, that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chavs....but fortunately, not many about on the commute or weekends.....but if I go for an evening run (not often) you can guarantee they are out.

Davidc

Guru
Arrogant "executive" car driver is generally the worst, and Old Fred/Elsie who only drives once a month can be pretty serious, especially not looking at junctions and random opening of doors.

If 99.9% of drivers weren't tolerably good and sensible there'd be mayhem and not just for cyclists (try Rome, Turin and Athens for examples...)

The ones I really fear are those who think they own the road, think everyone else should get out of their way, don't give a damn about anyone else, and worst of all think they're good drivers.

Don't meet many but they're very scary when I do!

Two kinds:

School run mothers in any car, but esp 4x4's

Young women in slightly battered cars who are always talking/texting or checking their make up in the mirror...always going too damn fast for the road and are constantly surprised to find anyone or anything else also using it.

They scare the sh*t out of of me..

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
badkitty said:
Two kinds:

School run mothers in any car, but esp 4x4's

Young women in slightly battered cars who are always talking/texting or checking their make up in the mirror...always going too damn fast for the road and are constantly surprised to find anyone or anything else also using it.

Good call. Forgot about those.

buggi

Bird Saviour
There is only two categories:

1. driver's who think it is their god given right to be on the road more than you.
2. driver's who are not paying attention

they can be driving anything.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The driver that is way too cautious annoys me. You know the one, busy dual carriageway, and they sit behind you, not knowing what to do, before fiiiinnnnaaallllllyyyyy going for an overtake, when all they had to do was see you, and move over in plenty of time and they would have kept moving.
The chav driver i sometimes find alright. But they can often be right twats.
I had a gangster/chav car actually be alright with me, they came out of a side on my right and waited for me to go past before coming out, and i got a nod from the passenger.
Normally shavs would fly out and stick their finger up at you.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The ones that consider me a bit of road dirt - not worth considering - some consciously make that decision, others merely by lack of thought (on the phone, not aware of my needs etc).

The ones I love - those who are considerate - allow me my space, give up their priority to help me and even smile at me - I'm easily won over aren't I:biggrin:.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Actually anything with a trailer ... I think they usually forget they have got the trailer on when the pull back in after over taking me and I'm not expecting it either - usually catches me unawares.

gbb

Legendary Member
Saab drivers often catch my attention, pass too close, always seem to be in a hurry.
Mums on the school run, i agree with that one....they really scare me too. To the point i'll do everything i can NOT to be about at chucking out time from schools.

Most others i find good and bad. 4WD, buses, taxis, chavs, BMWs etc etc...most behave, you just gt the occasional idiot amongst them all.

karen.488walker

bad bad kitty. am school run mum in 4x4 but drive my 4X4 in ski resorts in snowy conditions with snow tyres frequently. Still I am rude and aggressive on the roads so you can decide what you want. I generalise all the time and get bashed for it so am happy to take the stereotype on the head.

Top Bottom