What type of gear shifters are these and how they work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazy

Hi I recently purchased a viking vuelta bike, please guide me how these gear shifters work? Any youtube instructions available and what do you call them.
Thanks

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376205953443.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376205953443.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 224

fossala

Guru
They are downtube shifters. They work by pulling and releasing the wire that is attached to the derallieurs. They are very simple to work, just pull and push them.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
And don't forget to keep pedalling when you're playing with the downtube shifters or the gears won't change.

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

Thanks guys
I thought its better to ask your expert opinion than playing around, I don't understand gear system very well :sad:;)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
shame they dont make automatic gears for bikes really

Been around for years.

I remember them from the 1980s, they have also been developed by Shimano, just never successful commercially

The NuVinci Harmony is the latest incarnation

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Easy way to tell if the gears are indexed, does the right hand lever click as you move it up or down or can you rotate it all the way with no clicks?
I find it hard to believe that a new bike, no matter what brand or price would be sold with friction shifters unless you specified it as i had indexed down tube shifters 20 years ago.

Easy way to tell if the gears are indexed, does the right hand lever click as you move it up or down or can you rotate it all the way with no clicks?
I find it hard to believe that a new bike, no matter what brand or price would be sold with friction shifters unless you specified it as i had indexed down tube shifters 20 years ago.
That version had downtube shifters
http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B4861.html?id=PzPVWTUa
This one has STI
http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B5277.html?id=PzPVWTUa

Top Bottom