What type of gear shifters are these and how they work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The OPs picture shows down tube shifters so i believe i am correct in my assumptions
There are a lot of low entry bikes, that have down tube or handle bar shifters (these are more common I think, than down tube)
Capture.JPG

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There are a lot of low entry bikes, that have down tube or handle bar shifters (these are more common I think, than down tube)
Indeed,all i am saying is that in the picture of his bike it clearly has downtube shifters, sorry i cant see the point that you were adding to help the OP is all .
uploadfromtaptalk1376205953443-jpg.27523.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I didn't realise they still sold new bikes with down tube shifters... thought they went out of fashion when Dawse stopped using Huret in the 80s...

RWright

Guru
Just because they are down tube doesn't mean they can't be indexed does it? It seems like a strange place to put shifters these days but some people may still prefer them I guess.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Bikes that still use friction shifting have the shifters on the stem. They take getting used to, but last forever. Sports direct sell a couple like this I think.

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

Well I know my bike is not a top quality bike but I am new to biking so its okay for now :smile:

The main thing is you enjoy cycling whatever it is you ride, as I said to you before, my Viking has done 5,000 miles this year and 8,000 since June 2012. So just ride enjoy and see where it takes you.

Davidc

Guru
I had downtube friction shifters until the mid 1990s, eventually with a 7 speed cassette and a triple.

I now have STI indexed shifters. Shifting is no more accurate, the system is more complex and needs more setting up, and I don't find the STIs any more (or less) convenient.

Nothing wrong with the downtube shifters, just get used to them. You'll get something more complex on your next bike.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I still use them on my 1992 Peugeot 525. Mine can be indexed or friction, Shimano. No problem. The front change is particularly crisp.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1376.JPG

My Dawes Lightning with Huret downtube shifters 52/40 chainrings and 12-32 5 gear freewheel [changed from original 11-25 to let me still get up hills... big ratio steps but works really well across the two chainrings].
I bought it new in 1981 and still going strong. I'll never part with it!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have a Peugeot Versailles that was sold with indexed Shimano Light Action downtube shifters. Truly fine shifting. Downtubes have the least amount of cable, so shifting, IMHO, is crisper and more accurate than other placement. Depends on usage. For racing and general usage, I prefer downtube for the accuracy. For touring (even though I'm retired from any distance touring,) I prefer bar end shifters or grip shifters on those bicycles. For mountain, I'm still using thumbshifters, because it is what I'm used to.

Top Bottom