What tyres?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joshjnr

Hello. I have a hybrid Pinnacle Lithium 5 2013 bike and the current tyres that are on it say 40-622 700 x 38C - 28 X 15 5/8 x 11/2. The rims are Alexrims 622x17 CXD26. I was looking to get thinner tyres to try and commute slightly faster but have no idea how thin I can go or what any of the above numbers mean. HELP PLEASE! Thanks.

Hello. I have a hybrid Pinnacle Lithium 5 2013 bike and the current tyres that are on it say 40-622 700 x 38C - 28 X 15 5/8 x 11/2. The rims are Alexrims 622x17 CXD26. I was looking to get thinner tyres to try and commute slightly faster but have no idea how thin I can go or what any of the above numbers mean. HELP PLEASE! Thanks.

The important numbers there are the dimensional ones on the tyres (700 x 38C) you have what are normally referred to as 700C x 38 C tyres, on a 700 C wheel. If you want to go for less draggy tyres, I'd say go and search for 700C 32 C tyres, if you want to maintain a bit of comfort, go for 700C x 35 C tyres. Just make sure that the inner tubes you have are adequate.

These are fantastic tyres

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-rigid-road-tyre/

With these inner tubes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-quality-road-pack-of-5-inner-tubes/

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am about to buy some Marathon Plus for my 27.5"...........mainly as they are one of the few slimmer/slicker tyres that will fit.
Good points...........they are virtually bomb proof ..........see link below

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8fT13rtlk

Bad points...........they are supposed to be extremely difficult to fit............see link below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvOLOJUVs4

My feelings.......................
a) hopefully I will not get a road-side puncture so that problem won't arise :smile:
b) my LBS is going to fit them f.o.c.
c) they appear to be a lot slicker than my 27.5" x 2.1" Rocket Ron's they will be replacing..........and make my cycling easier :smile: :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Marathon Plus are great if puncture-proofing is your top priority but they weigh a ton. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Marathon Supreme in 700x32.

They don't offer the same level of puncture protection as M+ but they're still pretty good in that respect, and being considerably lighter and much more supple than M+, they are a LOT faster. They're also impressively grippy in all conditions.

Continental GP 4 Seasons are awesome too but they only go up to 700x28 - I find that plenty wide enough for both road and light trails but YMMV.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I am about to buy some Marathon Plus for my 27.5"...........mainly as they are one of the few slimmer/slicker tyres that will fit.
Good points...........they are virtually bomb proof ..........see link below

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8fT13rtlk

Bad points...........they are supposed to be extremely difficult to fit............see link below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvOLOJUVs4

My feelings.......................
a) hopefully I will not get a road-side puncture so that problem won't arise :smile:
b) my LBS is going to fit them f.o.c.
c) they appear to be a lot slicker than my 27.5" x 2.1" Rocket Ron's they will be replacing..........and make my cycling easier :smile: :smile:

M+ can be tricky to fit depending on your wheels. They're a nightmare on a Brompton, but much easier on 700c wheels.

Rocket Rons are cyclocross/MTB tyres. A slick(er) tyre will give you much better grip on the road and will be fine for light off-road use.

Dave7

Legendary Member
M+ can be tricky to fit depending on your wheels. They're a nightmare on a Brompton, but much easier on 700c wheels.

Rocket Rons are cyclocross/MTB tyres. A slick(er) tyre will give you much better grip on the road and will be fine for light off-road use.
Thanks.
It's difficult to define "light off-road use" isn't it.
I want a tyre for gravel type paths (with some pot holes & bumps). I may also decide to try that man made one at Llandegla.

BTW......am I reading correctly...........

the Marathon is recommended for ( I quote)
  • Greatly improved puncture protection (GreenGuard)

• MTB and Road
    • Use: Road/City

Whereas the 'Plus' merely says
  • Popular centre rib tread for noiseless running on pavement.

• Schwalbe 'Flat-Less' System
So.................is the 'Plus' one of these new tyres filled with foam ??

vickster

Legendary Member
M+ are the super puncture resistant, other than that they are just clincher tyres

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
M+ is not filled with foam but it has a very thick puncture protection layer. This is an excellent thing but it does make the tyre heavy and less supple, therefore slower - but still plenty fast enough for commuting. And for commuting use, the puncture protection far outweighs any other factors anyway.

Standard Marathon has less puncture protection but is still excellent for commuting.

Marathon Supreme is similar to standard Marathon in puncture protection but fully slick so better grip on the road. It's a really lovely fast fat tyre IME.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thanks.
It's difficult to define "light off-road use" isn't it.
I want a tyre for gravel type paths (with some pot holes & bumps).

Tbh, I would happily ride over most surfaces on standard Marathons except proper technical MTB or cyclocross stuff where you really need the extra traction of knobbly tyres.

For me, the standard Marathon or the Supreme version would be fine for what you describe.

Panaracer Gravel King, Clement X'plor or Specialized Roubaix Pro are also great for that kind of use.

Dave7

Legendary Member
M+ is not filled with foam but it has a very thick puncture protection layer. This is an excellent thing but it does make the tyre heavy and less supple, therefore slower - but still plenty fast enough for commuting. And for commuting use, the puncture protection far outweighs any other factors anyway.

Standard Marathon has less puncture protection but is still excellent for commuting.

Marathon Supreme is similar to standard Marathon in puncture protection but fully slick so better grip on the road. It's a really lovely fast fat tyre IME.
Thanks.
I do want to go "off-road"........Trans-Penine Way, bit of Delamere etc. but at my age nothing fast or dangerous. So that would ruleout the 'Supreme' methinks.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I, and a few others on here rode the Lochs and Glens North route last week on a mixture of Marathons and M+s (and one on Gatorskins). That route includes quite a few gravel sections, and one bit that was getting towards singletrack. Unless you are going out into deeper muddy stuff where you need the knobbles to dig in then a Marathon, or other touring tyre will probably be fine.

Top Bottom