What tyres?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I wouldn't want to ride skiddy surfaces on M+. They don't instil me with confidence

Dave7

Legendary Member
Tbh, I would happily ride over most surfaces on standard Marathons except proper technical MTB or cyclocross stuff where you really need the extra traction of knobbly tyres.

For me, the standard Marathon or the Supreme version would be fine for what you describe.

Panaracer Gravel King, Clement X'plor or Specialized Roubaix Pro are also great for that kind of use.

Unfortunately my wheels are 650B (27.5") and those 3 are all 700 :sad:
Thanks

piplarks

Marathon Plus are great if puncture-proofing is your top priority but they weigh a ton. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Marathon Supreme in 700x32.

They don't offer the same level of puncture protection as M+ but they're still pretty good in that respect, and being considerably lighter and much more supple than M+, they are a LOT faster. They're also impressively grippy in all conditions.

Continental GP 4 Seasons are awesome too but they only go up to 700x28 - I find that plenty wide enough for both road and light trails but YMMV.

Hi, I'd like to get some Marathon Supremes for my road/light off-road cycling.
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS469 Tyre is what I#ve found on Amazon. I have the same rims as the person who started this thread, alexrims cxd26, and I am looking for 700 x32 as currrently i have 38's and I'd like something lighter. BUT, which kind of tubes would be best? Advice welcome

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, I'd like to get some Marathon Supremes for my road/light off-road cycling.
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS469 Tyre is what I#ve found on Amazon. I have the same rims as the person who started this thread, alexrims cxd26, and I am looking for 700 x32 as currrently i have 38's and I'd like something lighter. BUT, which kind of tubes would be best? Advice welcome
Any befitting to the tyre size. For me schwalbe or Michelin. Not Continental with the flying valve cores!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Hello. I have a hybrid Pinnacle Lithium 5 2013 bike and the current tyres that are on it say 40-622 700 x 38C - 28 X 15 5/8 x 11/2. The rims are Alexrims 622x17 CXD26. I was looking to get thinner tyres to try and commute slightly faster but have no idea how thin I can go or what any of the above numbers mean. HELP PLEASE! Thanks.

Thinner doesn't mean faster. With the condition of todays roads, you're almost certainly going to be faster on bigger supple tyres and in my opinion, that means a set of Vittoria Voyager Hypers. If there's a better 38c tyre out there, I don't know of it. Equally at home on gravely offroady surfaces as tarmac based ones.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thinner doesn’t mean faster as said upthread. For commuting I would go for comfort.

I quite like my Schwalbe Durano Raceguard in 700x32 flavour. Fantastic in all weathers and cheapish. You can also upgrade to a Durano + which I (think) have a similar puncture resistance but the walls are a bit tougher.

If you go fatter, you can run lower pressures without hitting the ‘pressure pinch flat’ threshold. If you run lower pressures, you can ride faster on bad road surfaces, because you’re not getting your eyeballls rattled out of your head every time you hit a pot hole. So, although thinner tyres are ( theoretically) the faster tyres, in the real world they are not.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I have a standard marathon on the front of my tourer/commuter and M+ on the back, in 700 x 32c size.

I've taken it off-road on various muddy bridleways, rocky descents, and on a blue graded trail at a little trail centre. It's surprisingly capable, though obviously a bit slippy in the wet mud.

I'd recommend the standard marathons, in 32c or 35c size.

Top Bottom