What was YOUR 15 seconds of fame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I once won a competition on another forum for "Crappiest Claim to Fame".

I was doing some landscaping in the back garden, and had a pile of sharp sand on the road at the front of the house.

A few weeks later a mate phoned during The Bill, ..."I've just seen your sharp sand on the Bill".... they had been filming next door...

Simontm

Veteran
Just thought of a nice one about my dad rather than me.

My late brother got a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh in the England junior 8 and a few weeks later my dad was at a medics function and this bloke asked him: "Are you related to Jonathan Miller?" referring to Beyond the Fringe and Opera buff polymath whom my dad does look a bit like.

My dad thinking this bloke must be a rowing fan answered: "Yes, he's my son."

Cue much astonishment about how well he looks for someone who should be in their 80s or 90s! :smile:

Ganymede

Veteran
I once won a competition on another forum for "Crappiest Claim to Fame".

I was doing some landscaping in the back garden, and had a pile of sharp sand on the road at the front of the house.

A few weeks later a mate phoned during The Bill, ..."I've just seen your sharp sand on the Bill".... they had been filming next door...
I think this one ought to win. Has it all.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm in various media a fair bit because of the subject I research. But I was once on Radio 4's The Moral Maze, and wound up the awful Melanie Phillips by being reasonable and rational... which amused The Guardian radio columnist at least. Of course I owe it all to honing my technique in the C+ Forum's politics section (the predecessor of SCP here)...

Ganymede

Veteran
I'm in various media a fair bit because of the subject I research. But I was once on Radio 4's The Moral Maze, and wound up the awful Melanie Phillips by being reasonable and rational... which amused The Guardian radio columnist at least. Of course I owe it all to honing my technique in the C+ Forum's politics section (the predecessor of SCP here)...
Like that a lot!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
In the 90's I was living with my then boyfriend in the village of Box just outside Bath, where Peter Gabriel lives and it's the location of his Realworld studios. They needed local couples to appear in the video for 'Blood of Eden' from the album 'Us'. I was asked to look into the camera, shave and mime the lyrics. Got some cash for about 30 mins work. Another two friends of ours were also recorded. My face was supposed to be right at the start, so I was excited at my mush getting on telly. However, they changed it to just a video of Mr Gabriel so we all ended up on the cutting room floor. Ah well, I still enjoyed the experience. Worth taking a sickie for:smile:.

When Casualty was filmed here in Bristol, you used to see them in the centre a lot but they couldn't fence it off to get rid of Joe Public. So I used to wander up & down past the camera on the bike in the vague hope of spotting myself. Good lord, I just realised how sad that sounds...:laugh:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My old car is briefly in "Cracker", in the scene where the suspect is threatening to throw himself off the roof of the Ramada. (Black vauxhall astra, sunroof).

My old car is briefly in "Cracker", in the scene where the suspect is threatening to throw himself off the roof of the Ramada. (Black vauxhall astra, sunroof).
One of my brother's old cars featured on Top Gear.
I remember him bringing it round to our house for me to admire. A quick look around it and I told him to get rid of it NOW and pointed out various things to him including the fact I could put a pencil through the area that the battery was bolted to and several areas under the car as well which were passenger footwells. It was featured on TG for being unsafe to drive! :whistle:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
One of my brother's old cars featured on Top Gear.
I remember him bringing it round to our house for me to admire. A quick look around it and I told him to get rid of it NOW and pointed out various things to him including the fact I could put a pencil through the area that the battery was bolted to and several areas under the car as well which were passenger footwells. It was featured on TG for being unsafe to drive! :whistle:
A pal of mine had an old mini with a hole in the footwell. On rainy days, you had to make sure your foot was over it if he was giving you a lift.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No really had a moment of fame but have met and worked with a few famous types (of the time).

The coolest and most endearing of which was...by a long and surprising way...Jools Holland.

His TV persona had always struck me as a bit stuck up and difficult. This impression was initially reinforced by his lack of presence in many initial meetings preferring for his then wife (Christabel, not Mary...who coincidentally used to cut my hair) .to take responsibility.

When I did eventually meet him he rolled up in a beaten up merc, and immediately introduced himself in a warm and engaging manner. He told stories of his childhood in the area, pointing to places where he had first played conkers- learnt piano- fallen in love and grown up.

He was also interested...or seemed to be...in my story and talked for a good while about my interests.

My parting thought wasn't "wow Jools Holland" but rather, "wow, I wish he was a mate of mine"

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
His TV persona had always struck me as a bit stuck up and difficult.

That's a nice story. I always thought he was awkward probably because he just wasn't a natural 'meeja' person - which, I guess, is exactly how he turned out from your meeting. Seems like a nice man, shame I can't stand his awful big band jazz-lite...

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I once ('96 I think) had a small speaking part in THE BILL (who hasn't) In an episode called "Smoke Gets In Their (your*) Eyes" Name on the credits, and in the TV times 'n all.

I once found it on TubeFace edited for Australian TV, they had cut all my talking bit out and all you see is me in a Fireman's uniform walking across the screen. Probably to save on the £4.50 repeat fee. I have the whole thing on tape somewhere, I might dig it out one day and put it on DVD.

* not sure of the exact title.

Last edited:
Top Bottom