What was your first car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
View attachment 590049

Simca 1000, same colour as the one in the photo, 1974 model, me and my mate managed to get to Devon for a camping holiday, how I’ll never know, the hydraulic clutch drew air in somewhere and had to be bled every three days, and if it was a hot day and the engine was hot, it would refuse to start as the engine was in the back, along with the petrol tank, any fuel in the hose to the carb would evaporate and you had to open the bonnet and let it cool for half an hour!

I had one as well, about M reg I think. It also had a knackered clutch cylinder that needed bleeding probably once a week. Must have been the built in fault with that model.
Mine also had a collapsed driver's seat back that I held in place with a long piece of two by two wedged in.

Happy days!

tyred

Legendary Member
A completely knackered 1980 MKV Ford Cortina in some hideous '70s shade of dog shoot brown, a freebie which I drove around the fields at home in my mid teens.

I've actually spent basically nothing on cars in my lifetime. :becool:

After the Cortina I was given a slightly less knackered MKI Golf diesel which I used until the it completely rusted away. It gave up some of it's mechanical bits for a VW Caddy pickup (based on the MKI Golf and now extremely rare) which my Dad was going to sell for scrap but I intervened and drove it for many years. I still have it, awaiting restoration when funds allow. I last had it on the road in 2019 and unfortunately some 🤬 drove into me at a roundabout, destroyed the passenger side wing and bumper and never stopped. I am concentrating on buying an apartment at the moment but hope to sort out the rusty bits and find replacement wing and bumper in the next few years.

I've owned my Peugeot 205 for 15 years now and it's still in use, passed test first time earlier this year at 25 year old and over 200,000 miles on the clock but I do need to replace the sills properly. I paid just €360 for it and it's been remarkably trouble free.

I have a 2007 Skoda Fabia in storage which I was also given for free! I intend to put it on the road next year and work on my Peugeot. The Skoda is just so bland and boring imo.

Top Bottom