What was your first car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ford Fiesta Festival E reg (1987 model?). Named Florence. Got just before starting my final year at uni so 1995. Bought from a friend of my parents.
Was replaced in 1997 by a new Punto (only brand new car I’ve ever had, it was about the same price as a an ex rental used one)!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My brother started with one of those, too. I always chuckled when he came round to our parents' house and had to drive the thing up a 200 yard rough track with grass up the middle. Reliants didn't make great off roaders.
It was the same on snow. The rear wheels fitted into the tracks left by other vehicles, but the single front had to plough it's own furrow.

Kajjal

Guru
Peugeot 309 1.3l petrol, got it second hand in excellent condition and it lasted for ages. Very little to go wrong on it as it was an engine on wheels with a radio :okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think this thread indicates social change.

Most of us started with bangers, but I get the impression the young 'uns these days rarely do that - not least the OP's daughter.
Indeed limited car fiance in those days and high interest rates

the flip side is youngster nowadays generally have to have to stick to some small engined small car to keep the insurance costs down, whereas it didn't cost much more back then to insure a cortina or a capri vs an 850cc mini.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Peugeot 309 1.3l petrol, got it second hand in excellent condition and it lasted for ages. Very little to go wrong on it as it was an engine on wheels with a radio :okay:
I had one of those for a year or so, when a mini died inconveniently before I was due for a company car, so bought it as a stop gap. It looked a bit plain, but was 100% reliable, brilliant on the snow and I think i only lost about £300 on it in depreciation. the Co car that replaced it was a 306 XSi, which was defo more of a looker.

VW Polo 1976, something like this:

Went on to have several Polo's and it sealed my love for VW's to this day.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Mk2 Polo here. The mini-hearse one in blue.

Never bought another VW. Bought lots more blue cars, though. In fact only one wasn't blue, and only one was chosen because of the colour.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Mine was a 1965 Ford Anglia purchased when I was 16 in 1991 with a year to fix it up with my father before learning to drive in it. Unfortunately he died 2 days after my 17th birthday so he never got to see me drive it and we did not get much of a chance to sort it beforehand. Eventually it got fixed (involving too much money) and I drove it for a while. Last I heard (2021) it was still on the road.

View attachment 589191
View attachment 589192

View attachment 589193
It still is. According to https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk it's taxed till June 2022.

DRM

Guru
1621710606476.jpeg

Simca 1000, same colour as the one in the photo, 1974 model, me and my mate managed to get to Devon for a camping holiday, how I’ll never know, the hydraulic clutch drew air in somewhere and had to be bled every three days, and if it was a hot day and the engine was hot, it would refuse to start as the engine was in the back, along with the petrol tank, any fuel in the hose to the carb would evaporate and you had to open the bonnet and let it cool for half an hour!

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
View attachment 590049

Simca 1000, same colour as the one in the photo, 1974 model, me and my mate managed to get to Devon for a camping holiday, how I’ll never know, the hydraulic clutch drew air in somewhere and had to be bled every three days, and if it was a hot day and the engine was hot, it would refuse to start as the engine was in the back, along with the petrol tank, any fuel in the hose to the carb would evaporate and you had to open the bonnet and let it cool for half an hour!

My mate's mum had one and I did drive it when my mate asked me to check clutch. I must say it was a delight to drive, well, apart from the worn out clutch. Strange how some very mundane cars can be nice to drive, yet other supposedly highly regarded cars, like a BMW 3 series maybe year 2000 was quite horrid

Top Bottom