What watt is a good aim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dishy

Been trying out zwift and bkool but wondering what sort of watt i should be aiming for? Seen some people hitting 200 plus easily but for me to do that i would have to be sprinting none stop! This right or something not set up correct?

More than 250 and you need to register with DVLA...... or is that only electric bikes

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Been trying out zwift and bkool but wondering what sort of watt i should be aiming for? Seen some people hitting 200 plus easily but for me to do that i would have to be sprinting none stop!

A good target to aim for would be to improve on your current power output. Don't worry about what other people are doing.

This right or something not set up correct?

What equipment are you using? Have you done an FTP test or are you using estimated figures?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Not done ftp test, are these on bkool? How do i set 1 up?

I believe you can do an FTP test on Bkool but I don't know the procedure. I'm sure someone else will be along in a minute who does...

Using tacx flow smart trainer

Not the most accurate - which is why there's no point comparing yourself to other users. What's most important is comparing your own training sessions and see how you are progressing over time.

What's your long-term training target? Although I said that improving your power output is a good target to aim for, that isn't really an end in itself - you ought to have a specific reason for wanting to improve your power.

OP
OP
Dishy

Dishy

Main reason is to improve my fitness as dont go to the gym. Im a greenkeeper so chainsawing and manual work keeps me ticking over. I also play golf but dont do alot of cardio work.

Just wondered about power as that seems to be what is tracked on both pieces of software.

S-Express

If you only want to improve fitness, then your power number is irrelevant really. Just ride at whatever intensity you can cope with, for whatever time you have available.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Yeah, worrying about power numbers is just a distraction.

If you want to use your turbo to get fit, you will get maximum benefit by structuring your sessions - eg doing intervals, Russian steps, that kind of thing. Bkool, Zwift or the Tacx app will have preset training workouts that you can use. Or you can search online, or make up your own.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It's good to aim for a whole bag of Watt-sits.
Sorry :wacko:

S-Express

[QUOTE 4556401, member: 9609"]Is it possible to estimate wattage by how fast you can ascend a hill ?
for instance; 10mph 10% gradient 15 stone inc bike, marathon plus tyres at 90psi[/QUOTE]

Physics is your friend.

Combining the content of two posts above....

Accuracy is always an issue as each system uses different algorithms to calculate

That is why there will be a discrepancy between them

However this may not be an issue if you use the above advice to simply improve then the accuracy of the individual figure can be ignored if you use it as a baseline, you can then tell if you have improved

A caveat though, I assume that the system you use has constancy

By that I mean that it will always record at that same innacuracy

heres the table

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    163 KB · Views: 101

CXRAndy

Guru
Not done ftp test, are these on bkool? How do i set 1 up? Using tacx flow smart trainer

Bkool website
Sessions/NO GPS tab- bottom of page on left side is generate FTP test. Ride 20 mins at your maximum ability without blowing up.

Power varies greatly, from lightweight riders 200Watts to monster 470Watts sprinters, but whilst powerful rider win on flat courses lightweight usually win a steep courses. Just keep riding and power with endurance will come.

Top Bottom