What we can or cannot now do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D is deputy head of year at a large school, and her gut call is the government will close the schools the end of this week and extend the forthcoming Easter holiday to 2 weeks.

Will she be correct on this?

Lozz360

Veteran
If I drive with my wife from London to Cornwall and stay in a remote cottage, am I now a very bad person? If so, why?
And what do you do when you get there? Stay in doors until it’s time to go home? I suppose walking and cycling would be OK but no visits to pubs and cafes when you are out.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Mrs D is deputy head of year at a large school, and her gut call is the government will close the schools the end of this week and extend the forthcoming Easter holiday to 2 weeks.

I would say yes, if it is not this week then it will be the week after. One of the problems is that not all schools have the same holidays, so coordinating everyone off at the same time is going to be tricky.

Jimidh

Veteran
Mother’s Day this coming Sunday. We would normally invite both sets of parents round for dinner but we probably won’t this year. As both me and my wife work in healthcare and two teenage kids who are still for the time being at school so we are all at a higher risk of picking up the virus.
All our parents are healthy but all in their 80s or late 70s so not worth exposing them to my cooking and a slightly higher risk of catching anything.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My granddaughters football training and games have been cancelled, as has her Gang Show rehearsals, especially as the Royal and Derngate Theatre has closed for the foreseeable future, where the show was to be performed.

The family have tickets for an Abba evening (don't ask :laugh:) in May. Not cancelled yet, but no doubt it will be..

Drago

Legendary Member
As of last night Mrs D closed her Brownies group in the advice of the chief brownie. She was going to run tonight's meeting, and then close it down unilaterally, but the email last night precluded even that from happening.

Search and rescue training and fundraising events cancelled for the foreseeable, but were still active for call outs. We've been advised that no matter how stretched the NHS gets were not insured to use our own ambulances to cover NHS work, only for transporting our own patients to an RVP that a regular ambo can get to.

My MIAS instructors refresher in May was cancelled as of yesterday, likely to be rescheduled around september. Theyve given me a 6 month extension on my ticket and insurance, but it's pretty moot when no one is going to come out and be in close contact with a group of strangers for days at a time.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
My dad's due to have an urgent medical test in 2 weeks - we're hoping it's not cancelled.

Son no. 2's got a check-up soon, as have I, and I'm presuming they will either be cancelled or done by phone.

I had a routine health check scheduled for yesterday 16th March, the surgery phoned Friday canceling the appointment and they had no alternative dates planned.

Lullabelle

Banana
Cheese club is still on this evening if enough people still want to go-we do :okay:

Saturday we were going into town for a meal and theatre, last night's theatre show was cancelled so we are expecting Saturday to be cancelled too.

My dad and brother are both high risk so avoiding them both for now :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

She's not far off TBH. Uni's are shutting up shop and colleges. They will, as a minimum, extend Easter. I've not booked my Easter hols, as I'm likely to be working from the caravan. :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Posted elsewhere, but MIL insistent on going for regular blood test at GP's and then into the pharmacy for complan (she likes it). Two of the most high risk places, when she is in the top of the high risk category - talk about stubborn. I'm hoping the Home don't send her and actually get her some complan in. She'll also be in contact with a taxi driver too. We're not allowed to visit.

pawl

Legendary Member
A thread for specific social events or activities you had planned but are now reconsidering after the latest virus advice.

I meet my elderly mother for lunch a few times a year, which involves a long car journey for me, and a shorter one for her and my older brother who drives her.

Mother is certainly in trap one for 'at risk', but she enjoys our occasional engagements.

We had one planned for next month, which would have gone ahead because we regard the risk/benefit equation as acceptable.

But there has now been official interference.

My view is my journey can hardly be considered essential, although every lunch could be the last one.

The lunches are beneficial to mother's health in terms of getting her out of the house, although she could - and does - lunch locally.

Just bashing on is an option, but none of us are keen on the idea of ignoring the restrictions to suit.

Should our planned lunch go ahead?

Is there something you had planned which has now turned into a matter of conscience?

That is very difficult decision to make.

The decision could be taken from you be the venue being closed..Could you meet at your mothers house where you would have some control of the situation

I hate to say my sister died a year ago and had supported her by shopping her.Ocasionaly taking her out for meals.Thinking about it I just don’t know what I would have done.

What ever decision you make i am surei it will be best for you and mum.
Best wishes

pawl

Legendary Member
If I drive with my wife from London to Cornwall and stay in a remote cottage, am I now a very bad person? If so, why?
i have a cottage booked for the beginning of May.It is In a fairly remote location in the Cotswolds
I have made the decision to possibly cancel mainly because I just don’t fancy sitting in a cottage and not going out to visit the delights of the area

I don’t see you as a bad person but someone who has a personal decision to make.perhaps weigh up the pros and cons

Top Bottom