What we can or cannot now do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Son went to scouts yesterday evening - the last one until further notice. His summer camp and daughter's Guides holiday haven't been cancelled yet. School trips are still on, for now.
Bored children are not good (for the sanity of parents)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bored children are not good
I was just thinking that, if they close the schools what are the youths gonna be up to. younger kids will probably be OK but the older ones with nowt to do. :crazy:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
What's now a no-go in my house:

Brownies (cancelled UFN)
Swimming lessons (cancelled UFN)
Theatre club likely to be cancelled.
All work travel cancelled for 30 days at least.

Some of this was very long-term routine and a small part of me thinks it's not a bad thing to break it up because it was allowing little time for other activity. I'm working from home for 30 days at least, and yes @Drago I expect the schools to close once the Government come to their senses. So what's now on the agenda is:

Completing some unfinished (and some as yet unstarted) craft projects
Same for a pile of Jigsaw puzzles
Reading lots of books that have been bought and not started yet
Bike rides
Gardening

So there's lots to keep us all busy for a month and being as positive as I can, it's not a negative change.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Holidays is another one I'm struggling to decide on.

A journey to a hotel or holiday let could not be described as 'necessary' in the sense you don't have to go away.

But on the other hand, holidays are good for general well being - looking after that is something we are supposed to be doing.

Then there's my static caravan.

I don't regard visiting that as a holiday, but occasional day trips and stays for a few days is something I like to do.

It certainly qualifies for social distancing, but day trips in particular would be ignoring the advice.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My Specsavers appointment is on Thursday morning. I might get that done, but not sure if we'll be on lock down by the time they're actually made!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If I drive with my wife from London to Cornwall and stay in a remote cottage, am I now a very bad person? If so, why?

I am in a similar position with a cottage in the Highlands.

The conditions of my building and contents insurance stipulate that it must not be left unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days. That means I do a monthly check that all is wind and watertight and no pipes have burst etc. I am currently on two weeks’ leave and due to be going up this weekend. We have enough supplies in to keep us fed and whiskied for a fortnight so wouldn’t need to shop.

Should I go and spend the week or just overnight, or not go at all and risk not having insurance cover when I finally get up there and find burst pipes? Hmmm...

Globalti

Legendary Member
i have a cottage booked for the beginning of May.It is In a fairly remote location in the Cotswolds
I have made the decision to possibly cancel mainly because I just don’t fancy sitting in a cottage and not going out to visit the delights of the area

I don’t see you as a bad person but someone who has a personal decision to make.perhaps weigh up the pros and cons
I wouldn't have cancelled staying in a remote cottage. May I have the booking?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I am in a similar position with a cottage in the Highlands.

The conditions of my building and contents insurance stipulate that it must not be left unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days. That means I do a monthly check that all is wind and watertight and no pipes have burst etc. I am currently on two weeks’ leave and due to be going up this weekend. We have enough supplies in to keep us fed and whiskied for a fortnight so wouldn’t need to shop.

Should I go and spend the week or just overnight, or not go at all and risk not having insurance cover when I finally get up there and find burst pipes? Hmmm...
Definitely go for the week and enjoy your solitude.

footloose crow

Über Member
How about our plan to set off in our campervan later this month with bikes on back? Prob Somerset/Wiltshire/Oxfordshire. Take most of our food with us so essential shopping only. Don't go to pubs or cafes or eat out. Only go cycling or walking. Don't even need campsites although will need to empty chemical tank/fill up with water every three days. Campsites currently open I notice but for how long?

Seem reasonable? Or are we becoming a mobile infection vector?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
And what do you do when you get there? Stay in doors until it’s time to go home? I suppose walking and cycling would be OK but no visits to pubs and cafes when you are out.
The trip would involve no more social interaction than staying put in London. I still have to buy food at home. I'd rather stare out of the window at the creek than a line of parked cars.

D

Deleted member 26715

Wife won't be going to Dublin next Friday, all arranged by a friend, I hope she took out insurance

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Unable to actually work at home because of a software problem on my work laptop.
Pilates cancelled.
Tai Chi cancelled
Team building on a virtual shooting range cancelled
Mrs B's NWR cancelled
Snorkeling club cancelled
Funeral on Friday cannot attend because of self isolation
Blood test this Friday been told not to attend
Mrs B's church closed.
Theatre visit next week cancelled
Meds review Friday week been told it will now be by telephone, although without the blood test being done it is largely pointless
Holiday to La Gomera, not yet cancelled, but only because we were due to be going the day after the current restrictions run to.

On the positive side, friends of my wife as well as our child 1 have volunteered to go to the supermarket for us. Although thanks to the greedy hoarding b@stards who stripped much of our staples such as pasta from our local supermarket shelves, meals are for the time being at least, being carefully planned.

D

Deleted member 26715

On the positive side, friends of my wife as well as our child 1 have volunteered to go to the supermarket for us. Although thanks to the greedy hoarding b@stards who stripped much of our staples such as pasta from our local supermarket shelves, meals are for the time being at least, being carefully planned.
Just had our Tesco's order, lots missing & lots of inappropriate replacements.

Top Bottom