What we can or cannot now do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
We made it to our 14 yo granddaughters ballet performance on Sunday but the schools production of Ghost is cancelled on Friday. Such a shame, they have rehearsed so much.​

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The trip would be beneficial for you, your mum's and your brother's wellbeing - that sounds pretty essential to me. The proposed restrictions are (at the moment, at least) to reduce contact rather than stop it entirely. I think you'd be perfectly justified in your trip. If the weather's nice, would finding a nice quiet spot in a park somewhere for a picnic and natter be a workable idea? The chances are that cafes and restaurants will be closed by next month.
Keeping a close eye on this as we have a charity LEJOG organised for mid May

The accommodation we have booked will stay open if they are allowed to do so...small hotels, B&Bs etc. I'd guess that if they could stay open they could serve food (?). The problem will be if cafes, pubs and restaurants are required to close we may struggle to get food as we are staying in a number of one horse towns with just the pub for evening meal

There's nothing open here to go out for, only the Pharmacy, Supermarkets and Hospitals are open, all the rest are "Fermée"

Not been advised to stay in doors as such so a tootle around on the bike is still OK it seems:ph34r:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Well, here in HK, all gyms were still open, all shops/restaurants too although quite a few hotpot places have been shut including my favourite Korean BBQ place.:sad:

We were able to really carry on with day to day life, but with masks and bottles of hand sanitiser in our bags. Still the case now. No-one's letting their guard down.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well, here in HK, all gyms were still open, all shops/restaurants too although quite a few hotpot places have been shut including my favourite Korean BBQ place.:sad:

We were able to really carry on with day to day life, but with masks and bottles of hand sanitiser in our bags. Still the case now. No-one's letting their guard down.
Were you in HK during SARS? Talking to my HK friends it does sound like a lot of lessons were learned in how to limit infections then which have been invaluable now

We just don't have the experience. It's not that people don't want to do the right thing, most just don't assess the risks very well. For example I was at a supermarket this am. I was the only person sanitising the trolley handle before using it

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Were you in HK during SARS? Talking to my HK friends it does sound like a lot of lessons were learned in how to limit infections then which have been invaluable now

We just don't have the experience. It's not that people don't want to do the right thing, most just don't assess the risks very well. For example I was at a supermarket this am. I was the only person sanitising the trolley handle before using it

I wasn't but Mr Cookiemonster was and he also says what's helped HK not get affected as much as other areas is the experience of SARS that killed many people here. He did have to seriously whinge at me when I was a bit careless at the start of this outbreak, all down to inexperience of these things.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cycle club official rides now cancelled till further notice in line with CTC/BC recommendations and work closed down till the 30th at the earliest as the french border is closed so we are not getting parts .

Well if in London you can go round the national gallery - for today (closes tomorrow).

Forced out by a Thames Water burst main (regular event in my hilly bit of south london - i gather at the not yet cancelled Olympics they are sponsoring the water slalom) I ended up in town - to my great surprise found it open.

Very very quiet indeed - almost spookily so - never been so close to the paintings or been able to look at them in such peace. Probably safer than on a "normal" day - folk being sensible - keeping a distance from each other - and with all that space it wasn't hard. Didn't touch anything, no door handles etc.

Oh the damned annoying standing on one hidden leg star wars bods weren't in Trafalgar Square either - utter peace!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
All schools in Wales are closing until further notice on Friday so my last day will be tomorrow. My wife is already preparing a long list of things to do until this is all over. Will we be able to go cycling as I heard walking the dog won't be allowed either ?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
All schools in Wales are closing until further notice on Friday so my last day will be tomorrow. My wife is already preparing a long list of things to do until this is all over. Will we be able to go cycling as I heard walking the dog won't be allowed either ?
You're free to walk your dog and ride your bike now. But if we ultimately follow countries like Spain, Italy and France, bike riding will be prohibited unless cycling to work or to food shops

Top Bottom