What Were Your Teachers Like At School ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
We had a young French teacher on exchange for a year. What everyone remembered about her was she always wore a striking silk scarf around her neck. Found out later it was to cover a scar where she tried to hang herself.
how on earth did you discover that?

Chris S

Legendary Member
It is a long time ago, but, that sort of price sounds more like a lower spec mini-computer (DEC PDP-11 for example). There was a Leeds based company (Systime?) making DEC compatible stuff too.
I think you're right. We had a BBC micro-type computer tough. I've just done a Google search and they all cost a few hundred pounds then. It must have been a typo in the original article.

Brains

Legendary Member
I served a 5 year stretch
8 to 13 yrs

8-11at a good private boarding school.

We had a few odd teachers, a WW1 General who told great stories which he wound into history/Geography/religious lessons, which to this day means I have a superb understanding of middle eastern politics and the also the political lead up to WW1.

We also had a dreadful Latin teacher, a Mr Johnstone, a sadist that thankfully ended up on the inside of another boarding establishment.
(aged about 10, He picked me up by my hair and threw me the length of a classroom)

11-13 at another school, a 'crammer'
I was bunked in with the future Shah of Iran and his security detail.
(they were all older than us, but still under 18, the Iranian sons of Sandhurst trained military)

We had 'The Commander' as our maths teacher. All maths problems that we were given were about hitting targets from the X and Y turrets of a warship with a given calibre of shell. To this day I still use some of the calculations, much to the amazement of colleagues in the IT sector.

After that it was downhill.
Local Grammar that was turned into a Comp, after 3 changes of headmaster in 4 terms they chucked out the entire year, we never sat any exams.
We all arrived at the job centre to 'sign on'. To cover up the fact that we had all been chucked out, the school had not applied for an National Insurance Numbers, so no one could apply for anything.
Even at the time the local job centre was appalled!
200+, 16-17 years olds with not a single exam or national insurance number between them.
Today there would be questions in Parliament if that happened.

Last edited:
Top Bottom