What Were Your Teachers Like At School ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
We had a good physics teacher . He was Irish with a thick accent . He was short with ginger hair moustache and beard a bit like a gnome .
He had strange ideas about the kids which sat at the back of the classroom were not worth bothering with . It was just a simple process of whoever got out of the previous class first got to the next lesson ahead of the rest .
He had some favourite sayings which we used to amuse ourselves with trying to copy his accent .
"You're nothing but a Waster laddie ! "
"You little Thickie ".
" I don't give a hoot !"
He was given the nickname "Hoot ".

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Don’t know if there are any teachers posting on, or, following this thread, but, the number of allegedly incompetent teachers, recalled, makes me think, thank god for Ofsted. ;)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We had some old school teachers who had loads of character and tended to be quite strict. Then we had a huge influx of younger teachers, most were really good but we had a few who could not control a class and often lost their sh1t. We had a crazy RE teacher who had the class eating out of his hand for the entire lesson. He was superb

Probably the place I was thinking. There was a museum about them because no longer made there. Cane, riding crop, various types of whips.

What was commonly known as the cane could have also been a leather based stick not unlike a riding crop. I never got to find out which our school had but it was rarely used except on this one lad who was troubled you could say.:tongue:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Both of my maths teachers were excellent and my geography teacher (also my year head) was very good too. The science teachers were mostly good, I think they wanted to teach but weren't entirely good at it. French was very good. English was alright; social studies was not too reasonable and religious education was good too. Computing was good only if one wanted to learn otherwise teacher did not care much for those who didn't (luckily was the former type).

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As I have said on another thread, if there is a hell, with a handful of exceptions, I hope most of them are in there.
Catholic spinsters beating your left hand until you were physically unable to hold a pen or pencil, to stop you from writing with it. Just because of being left handed - That took over 30 years and the birth of a daughter who is naturally left handed, to have confidence to use again. And even now there is the split second of "can I do this?"
Secondary school teachers, for whom the majority considered casual violence, as common as having a cough or blowing their noses.
The irony is I married a teacher as is one of my daughters.

Top Bottom