What wheel(s) replacement? for Triban3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimples

Über Member
After a theif attempted (and failed miserably) to steal my bike they decided out of frustration to damage my rear wheel.
Can anyone suggest a replacement rear wheel? Or maybe a new wheelset?My initial thoughts after looking around is to either...

1- Buy a replacement wheel via decathalon.
Seen here http://www.decathlon.co.uk/road-bike-rear-wheel-700c-id_8005016.html

2- get Shimano r501's which many people suggest.
Such as this http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/R501-Bladed-Spoke-Clincher-Wheels-Pair/SHIMWHFR203

Or any other alternative?

I don't need to spend loads. No more then perhaps £100. It's to replace my wheel. It's my only bike so serves as going to the shops and commuting. I'd imagine anything branded would probably be an upgrade over the standard decathalon rear wheel, so while a minor upgrade would be nice, I don't want to spend anything more then needed..it's only a £300 bike after all!

I welcome your thoughts.

arch684

Veteran
That decathlon wheel is not what i would buy.Go for the 501s much better

Last edited:
OP
OP
dimples

dimples

Über Member
Seems pretty conclusive that I should get the Shimano, maybe buy it tonight! (long as I can get a final word from you lot). I'm a complete n00b, but will it fit ok? I'm told that they come already assembled so it would just be a case of me purchasing a cassette tool and possibly some rim tape? (no idea what its for). Then swapping it over. Will it be trued? Or will I have to head to a shop to get that done..

Is there anything else i might need to order?

The r501's will be fine and if you buy them before midnight tonight there is an extra 10% off using the code of their front page disc10

But do yourself a favour and get the standard spoke one not the bladed spokes, easier to replace if one brakes. Not that my husband had managed it on his t3.

www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/wheels-factory-built-wheels-factory-road-tri-shimano-r501-standard-spoke-clincher-wheels-pair/shimwhfr202

thanks, I would not have known what the difference was.

Here are pics for anyone interested!

8speed, so should fit right?Needs a good clean!
E3jRuZW.jpg

where they damaged it.
VQ3nTIl.jpg

How the wheel looks overall
fD9xY6v.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Seems pretty conclusive that I should get the Shimano, maybe buy it tonight! (long as I can get a final word from you lot). I'm a complete n00b, but will it fit ok? I'm told that they come already assembled so it would just be a case of me purchasing a cassette tool and possibly some rim tape? (no idea what its for). Then swapping it over. Will it be trued? Or will I have to head to a shop to get that done..

8speed, so should fit

(various bits cut out)

The 501s will take an 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette and are fully assembled, ready to fit and including skewers. All you will need to add is rim tape.

If you don't already have them, you will also need a chain whip to hold thd old cassette in place and a cassette tool to remove the old unit and swap it over.

OP
OP
dimples

dimples

Über Member
(various bits cut out)
If you don't already have them, you will also need a chain whip to hold thd old cassette in place and a cassette tool to remove the old unit and swap it over.

Hmm, I wonder if I am better off buying that stuff myself or trying to ask a cycle shop to do it for me? No indie's around me, only halfords. Unless I can find the tool cheap somewhere, i'll have it for life.

It's easy enough to swap the cassette over. They do come with rim tape. Cassette removal tool and chain tool are cheap enough and going by the state of your cassette you may well want to consider this an opportunity to change the cassette and chain at the same time. Some of those grooves look a little deep and when a cassette is as dirty as that parts wear much more quickly. If you can do a photo of the cassette full frame and 'flat' so we can see all the teeth on it we can let you know if you need new as well.

Cyclist33

sorry what am i missing here, its only the rear wheel thats damaged right? if youre prepared to spend upto 100 quid then why not just spend it all on a good rear wheel?

sorry what am i missing here, its only the rear wheel thats damaged right? if youre prepared to spend upto 100 quid then why not just spend it all on a good rear wheel?
He can replace and upgrade both wheels for £68. If you have ridden on the decathlon wheels for any length of time and done any mileage on them, you will know it is £68 well spent the moment you try any other wheel sets.
@dimples if you are on quidco, remember to go through them and get the Ribble cash back as well.

Top Bottom