What wheelset? What price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Bike #1 is a Summer Special Sale from my LBS - namely an Obrea Orac frame with their chosen components. They tell me the wheels are similar to Shimano R500s. I am in the happy position of being able to splash some cash and am thinking about upgrading the wheels. But what is the minimum I should be expecting to pay to get a noticeable improvement? (I'll leave marginal gains to the Pros, their sponsors and their wallets.) My LBS suggested American Classics at around £600, but can I get a similar upgrade for less?

Koga

I prefer Fulcrum Racing 5 (£175) or 3 (£400), all depending on how much you want to spent.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Handbuilt wheels for around £250 would be a far better option

velocity a23's on 105 hubs with sapim spokes from dcr wheels are awesome upgrade compared to off the shelf options.

Harry Rowland hand builts! My average went up by 1-2 mph.

Ah, the power of 'post purchase justification'... ;)

Seriously though, that's nonsense. Your speed might have gone up, but not because of the wheels - unless your previous set were made of cast iron.

oiljam

Active...ish Member
Yup HandBuilts here as well, got mine from DCR Wheels and they are excellent even if they cost a little bit more than I originally intended :whistle: but worth every penny.

Just had a look at the DCR Wheels website. What a fantastic informative site it is if not a little overwhelming. I were looking to buy some mavic ksyrium elite wheels but on reading your post it's got me thinking twice.

Where did you start on buying hand-builts? The website is very rich in choice, something I'm not easy with.
Do you have a previous thread link to peruse over or have any tips on buying your bespoke wheels?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Just had a look at the DCR Wheels website. What a fantastic informative site it is if not a little overwhelming. I were looking to buy some mavic ksyrium elite wheels but on reading your post it's got me thinking twice.

Where did you start on buying hand-builts? The website is very rich in choice, something I'm not easy with.
Do you have a previous thread link to peruse over or have any tips on buying your bespoke wheels?

I rang them and had a chat with David and over a period of a couple of days worked out what Rim, Hub & Spoke combination would be best for what I wanted.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ah, the power of 'post purchase justification'... ;)

Seriously though, that's nonsense. Your speed might have gone up, but not because of the wheels - unless your previous set were made of cast iron.
why not dusty??

Top Bottom