What wheelset? What price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Same as Eddy, I agree with 99% of what you say, apart from this bit ^^^

Yes, you could get a replacement rim, but it would need to be an identical rim, or at least the same spoke count and the same rim depth. If it wasn't, you would either need new spokes, or a different rim, or both. Nothing is ever straightforward.

Yes, of course. the difference is that a rim for the Mavic Ksyrium Elites has to be that particular rim, not other Mavic rim will do.

With off the shelve rims you can find rims with the same number of holes and similar ERD and you are good to go.

mattobrien

Guru
I did suffer a cracked rid in my Ksyrium Elites, they were within warranty period, so they were sent off and a new rim and spokes were sent back with the original hub. Can't fault them on that or my LBS for pointing out the warranty, even though I didn't buy through them (bought before this LBS was discovered).

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I agree with what you are saying but a handbuilt wheel can still be under tensioned and suffer from same issues as poorly built under tensioned factory wheels either by poor workmanship by the wheel builder or through time as spokes lose tension .

On the value side I cannot think of another product that's made overseas that gives good value buying the parts separately then paying someone to build the product here rather than just buying the whole product to start with, so to me handbuilts don't make sense.

Yes, undoubtedly that there are poorly built handbuilt wheels out there. I'm still relatively new at handbuilding (only built just over 100 wheels) but I'm a strong believer in the principles of good wheel building so I'm not ready to accept that wheels will loose sufficient tension by just riding them. Maybe time will prove me wrong ^_^ but so far I'm doing OK. Two weeks ago I got my friend to come round with one of the early sets of wheels I ever built, he is a part time commuter and he has done just over 5000 miles. The spoke tension and trueness still very good so I still think he will need a new rim before he needs me re tensioning the spokes . I still take the same care and attention as I did then but I'm much faster now.

It's perfectly understandable that handmade wheels don't make sense to you, we all have different priorities when it comes to purchasing goods. Still, I never got handmade wheels before I made my own so I don't know whether I would have wanted to pay somebody to build me a set, I never thought about it. However, now I would go handbuild every time, even if for some reason I could not build my own wheels, I would happily pay somebody to do it for me. I still build wheels for CC members for £zero and only till the end of the year but I'm now only taking newly build wheels. After the new year I can happily recommend a terrific builder, friend of mine, but he only builds for people in the London area.

The thought of having to send the wheels back to another country put me off completely. ^_^

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I did suffer a cracked rid in my Ksyrium Elites, they were within warranty period, so they were sent off and a new rim and spokes were sent back with the original hub. Can't fault them on that or my LBS for pointing out the warranty, even though I didn't buy through them (bought before this LBS was discovered).

I'm not surprised but they are nice wheels so with a bit of luck you will be fine. The one I had to work on had done less than 250 miles. It was sent back under warranty and they just added locktight to the nipples :cursing:

I'm not surprised but they are nice wheels so with a bit of luck you will be fine. The one I had to work on had done less than 250 miles. It was sent back under warranty and they just added locktight to the nipples :cursing:

We can all find individual horror stories for most bike parts - but how many hundreds of thousands of pairs of Ksyrium Elites will perform perfectly well, without issue?

U

User6179

Yes, undoubtedly that there are poorly built handbuilt wheels out there. I'm still relatively new at handbuilding (only built just over 100 wheels) but I'm a strong believer in the principles of good wheel building so I'm not ready to accept that wheels will loose sufficient tension by just riding them. Maybe time will prove me wrong ^_^ but so far I'm doing OK. Two weeks ago I got my friend to come round with one of the early sets of wheels I ever built, he is a part time commuter and he has done just over 5000 miles. The spoke tension and trueness still very good so I still think he will need a new rim before he needs me re tensioning the spokes . I still take the same care and attention as I did then but I'm much faster now.

It's perfectly understandable that handmade wheels don't make sense to you, we all have different priorities when it comes to purchasing goods. Still, I never got handmade wheels before I made my own so I don't know whether I would have wanted to pay somebody to build me a set, I never thought about it. However, now I would go handbuild every time, even if for some reason I could not build my own wheels, I would happily pay somebody to do it for me. I still build wheels for CC members for £zero and only till the end of the year but I'm now only taking newly build wheels. After the new year I can happily recommend a terrific builder, friend of mine, but he only builds for people in the London area.

The thought of having to send the wheels back to another country put me off completely. ^_^

I am willing to be proved wrong , just need someone to build me a set for free:whistle:

We can all find individual horror stories for most bike parts - but how many hundreds of thousands of pairs of Ksyrium Elites will perform perfectly well, without issue?
I see what you mean but @RRSODL is saying that their repair job was inadequate, so if they do fail then you have to wonder what state they will return them under warranty. If handbuilt you can return and watch them fix them presumably, although I am no expert in these matters.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

Well, there are many happy riders out there so your statement is valid.

But in all honesty, I'd worry if I had one of those wheels needing attention and expecting my LBS to fix it :laugh:

U

User6179

I see what you mean but @RRSODL is saying that their repair job was inadequate, so if they do fail then you have to wonder what state they will return them under warranty. If handbuilt you can return and watch them fix them presumably, although I am no expert in these matters.

Racing on handbuilts can void the warranty with some wheel builders as can misuse like hitting potholes, IME you have more chance getting a large company to warranty a product than a small independent .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Racing on handbuilts can void the warranty with some wheel builders as can misuse like hitting potholes, IME you have more chance getting a large company to warranty a product than a small independent .
IME on everything a larger company will bullshit until the cows come home to try and not help .

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Postscript:
Thanks for all the help people - I finally went for Fulcrum Quattro (handmade, apparently. :angel:) #2 and #3 bikes seem more than happy with the hand-me-down upgrades, as well.

Postscript:
Thanks for all the help people - I finally went for Fulcrum Quattro (handmade, apparently. :angel:) #2 and #3 bikes seem more than happy with the hand-me-down upgrades, as well.
Good choice IMO, I put Fulcrum Quattros on the Bianchi and they made a massive difference to the ride; I bettered my TT PB on the PCC 10 by 23 secs when I fitted them.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm confused, what's the point in spending 100's or even 1000's on a new wheel set, if you wont see any improvement over a set of Shimano R501s, and if this is the case;
if you are expecting the new wheels to give you an increase in your average speed - they won't.
Then this isn't true?
Good choice IMO, I put Fulcrum Quattros on the Bianchi and they made a massive difference to the ride; I bettered my TT PB on the PCC 10 by 23 secs when I fitted them.

I'm confused, what's the point in spending 100's or even 1000's on a new wheel set, if you wont see any improvement over a set of Shimano R501s, and if this is the case;

There are many reasons why you would want to fit wheels other than R501s. But the more you pay, the more you are subject to the law of diminishing returns.

Then this isn't true?

It may be true, but whether the improvement is due to the wheels is highly dubious.

Top Bottom