What wheelset? What price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
im asking for your reason on why not - not mine

Because even if he was on deep sections (which I doubt), the aero benefit might only give him an extra 1mph at 25-30mph. A pair of handbuilts might give you a nice ride, but they are not going to give you a 1-2mph increase anywhere in the conventional 'cyclechat' speed range.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Because even if he was on deep sections (which I doubt), the aero benefit might only give him an extra 1mph at 25-30mph. A pair of handbuilts might give you a nice ride, but they are not going to give you a 1-2mph increase anywhere in the conventional 'cyclechat' speed range.
i think he quoted average speed not top speed - which i think is doable with new lighter wheels

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You've missed the point. But anyway, why do you think 1-2mph is achievable? How will a pair of handbuilts give you a 1-2mph increase??
its 1-2mph average speed increase. maybe the handbuilts have better, lighter rims and lighter free rolling hubs which are easier to get started and keep up speeds he couldnt do in the past on heavier, slower wheels

just maybe

its 1-2mph average speed increase. maybe the handbuilts have better, lighter rims and lighter free rolling hubs which are easier to get started and keep up speeds he couldnt do in the past on heavier, slower wheels

just maybe

Just maybe that's nonsense. Rim weight makes sod-all difference to performance and rim aerodynamics account for about 8% of your total profile. Hubs? Really? come on. No wheelset on the planet will give you 1-2mph extra - not even a set of £4k Obermayers - unless you're riding a flat TT, then every second counts..

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A set of shallow profile wheels, will not give you a 1-2 mph increase in average speeds. A set of very aero wheels might give you that on a flat course (baring in mind that for a slower rider, any savings in watts will convert to more free speed for a slower rider than a faster rider, so it is entirely possible that a slower rider will actually gain more speed than a faster rider from kit, contrary to what many people seem to think), but not shallow profile wheels.

Last edited:
@Dusty Bin @jowwy
Enough, or do you both want to be thread banned?

Apologies, but I don't think it's fair to be called a 'numpty' for simply pointing out where someone is mistaken. It's a classic internet response from someone with nothing more useful to add.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Apologies, but I don't think it's fair to be called a 'numpty' for simply pointing out where someone is mistaken. It's a classic internet response from someone with nothing more useful to add.

And you will have seen that I removed it. So keep it on topic. Less of the tit-for-tat.

Milzy

Guru
I

just maybe
Exactly. They spin up steep hills so much easier too. It's having that perfect combo you can get for cheaper than plucking for example Fulcrum 3's off the shelf.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
What sort of 'improvement' are you after? And what sort of riding do you do?
I initially started increasing my amount of riding for exercise (which still accounts for a fair proportion of why I ride) a couple of years ago,but now it's mostly because I have fell in love with it. Mon-Fri I do a 20 mile circuit each day at a brisk pace and go for more leisurely, and far longer, spins on a Sunday. However, I have become a bit of a speed junkie and would like to increase my average so the daily thrash doesn't take too much out of my work time. (I figure I can justify an upgrade as I could cascade down the original wheels of my other bikes.:smile: )

I initially started increasing my amount of riding for exercise (which still accounts for a fair proportion of why I ride) a couple of years ago,but now it's mostly because I have fell in love with it. Mon-Fri I do a 20 mile circuit each day at a brisk pace and go for more leisurely, and far longer, spins on a Sunday. However, I have become a bit of a speed junkie and would like to increase my average so the daily thrash doesn't take too much out of my work time. (I figure I can justify an upgrade as I could cascade down the original wheels of my other bikes.:smile: )

Ok. First thing to say is there's no reason why you shouldn't buy new wheels. But - if you are expecting the new wheels to give you an increase in your average speed - they won't.

Top Bottom