What wi-fi networks can you see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Are there lots of wi-fi signals where you log on to the internet?

There's usually about 10 networks in range of my laptop when it's plonked in its usual position on the kitchen table.

I might get quite a few because I live in a terraced house.

Two of them are mine, and there seems to be a fairly even split between Sky, BT, and Virgin.

All are locked, except one - don't know what that's about.

There was a story a while ago about people giving their networks silly names, including one couple who seemed to be using the name of their network to insult the neighbours.

All very conservative around here, just company name and reference number.

What networks can you see?

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 13.35.2615 Dec 2018.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The unlocked one is a BT hotspot. If you have BT broadband you can log onto it free (unless you have opted out of your router being used in the scheme)

MarkF

Guru
Not many & not the one l want. The Wi-Fi is down in the Square Sail Spoons in Lincoln......l am going to have to walk to the bar!:ohmy:

classic33

Leg End Member
I've National Express Coach. Three miles is the closest they get.
BTWiFi with Fon, 500 yards away.
Four BT, two TalkTalk, two Vodafone, one SKY, one NowTV.

@Supersuperleeds, it's now OpenReach. The BT part of their name was dropped over a month ago.

D

Deleted member 26715

No idea what router Selby7 is but I often get a better signal off that than my own at the back of the house

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 15.28.04.png

Tommy2

Über Member
Lol I like the ‘police surveillance van’.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Classic33
OpenReach is not part of BT now. It is a separate company which sub contracts to BT. My next door neighbour who works for OpenReach gave me this info.

clid61

Veteran
I'm currently using Marrakech Medina free WiFi waiting for a flight back to Manchester, safe in the knowledge money grabbing Manchester will never give anything for free :sad:

Top Bottom