What will I need to do for a Triathlon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boris Bike

Currently my only exercise is cycling. Last year I did a half marathon and next year I'm considering doing a triathlon.

Swimming is currently the weakest and I wouldn't say my upper body strength is great. I've got an alright frame, but I don't do any weights or anything.

What do people suggest I should do in the way of training/buffing up?

mr Mag00

rising member
220magazine online and look at training regimes all from beginners to ironman available.
i started 2 years ago i mix up my training and as i got fitter 'brick' sessions where you take 2 of the disciplines and train back to back. also longer rides when avaialable, speed sessions, hours in the pool. circuit training is good all round. once a month i train low, where i fast from the night before and ride long with water and elctrlytes but ensure good foodwhen i finish and start recovery.

jay clock

Massive member
been there, done that and got the Ironman t shirt. I started out as a "cyclist" - I drifted into events at longer and longer distances

Number one tip would be get some swim coaching. Once you can swim a couple of hundred metres crawl non stop, join a tri club and swim 2-3 times a week. Tend to be very friendly and lots of low end swimmers (like me!)

Then do some run training. Google "couch to 5k"... works a treat for beginners. For you I would actually do LESS to avoid injury. 2-3 times per week maybe.

Do plenty of cycling. Do some brick sessions (running off the bike) eg 15 min bike, 5 min run all then repeat 2 or 3 times

Google "triathlon transition tips"....

Enter a local low key race

ENJOY

PM me with more specifics.....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
been there, done that and got the Ironman t shirt. I started out as a "cyclist" - I drifted into events at longer and longer distances

Number one tip would be get some swim coaching. Once you can swim a couple of hundred metres crawl non stop, join a tri club and swim 2-3 times a week. Tend to be very friendly and lots of low end swimmers (like me!)

Then do some run training. Google "couch to 5k"... works a treat for beginners. For you I would actually do LESS to avoid injury. 2-3 times per week maybe.

Do plenty of cycling. Do some brick sessions (running off the bike) eg 15 min bike, 5 min run all then repeat 2 or 3 times

Google "triathlon transition tips"....

Enter a local low key race

ENJOY

PM me with more specifics.....

Agreed on all of this.

I am less far down the path to Ironman, having only just completed both my first competitive triathlon (albeit one longer than the standard Olympic distance) and done a serious endurance tri event for charity. You can read about all that here: http://tritillicry.wordpress.com

I thought I couldn't swim until February this year. I got coaching and can now do both endurance swimming (several hours non-stop) as well as 2km in 45 minutes, which is not at all fast by competition standards, but is fast enough not to embarass myself and to be in a good position to put my cycling experience into effect and more than make up in the bike leg.

The most difficult thing I have found is the bike-run transition, and I would strongly emphasize doing as many bricks (bike session straight into a run) as you can, especially once the tri season is upon you (as Jay suggested to me, earlier this year). The swim to cycle transition doesn't seem to be a problem at all (at least not for me).

I've really got the bug now and will be training hard over winter and pre-season, and doing a full competition programme next year from sprint to half-ironman triathlons, as well as other non-tri running and cycling events.

Top Bottom