What will replace the quality of the discontinued Shimano BB-UN55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
thanks for the info though not convinced that this is an advantage, never having felt any need to grease a UN55 (apart from outer threads periodically of course)

Same here - might be for a slightly larger bearing, who knows. Never replace mine unless the bearing's wear, so you get a little bit of play, they still spin fine.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I got one of these from Spa when I bought a new chainset and fitted it at the weekend which, or at least tried to. Only a couple of threads in and the ring that the tool locks into sheared off!

FIRST COMPONENTS Bottom Bracket F-2001P plastic cups.

The plastic cup top ring completely sheared off, when I tightened the RHS BB to the correct to torque. I was shocked.:eek:

I've ordered a few Tange BB's as spares, just in case.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
FIRST COMPONENTS Bottom Bracket F-2001P plastic cups.

The plastic cup top ring completely sheared off, when I tightened the RHS BB to the correct to torque. I was shocked.:eek:

I've ordered a few Tange BB's as spares, just in case.

Never use plastic cups. I save my metal ones

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
You could try BB30!!!

The jury is still out, see earlier posts:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/w...ed-shimano-bb-un55.274954/page-3#post-6463800
I've purchased a new Tange Seiki BB and I already have a NOS BB-UN55 as spares. Obviously, over time we will find out if the new BB-UN300 is durable, but due to it's design, I'm initially not convinced and prefer the Tange Seiki LN-7922 or Tange Seiki LN3922 designs.

But, you could be right, using a UN300 may be the answer.:okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
I was joking bb30 is the creaking monstrosity in modern bikes including 2 of mine!

Three are st one ht2!

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I was joking bb30 is the creaking monstrosity in modern bikes including 2 of mine!

Three are st one ht2!

Sorry, I thought that you were referring to a UN300, I've never used a BB30, but I believe they can be converted to Hollowtech.

Don't you have a Cannondale Supersix, popular for British hill climb races.

BikeRadar-2022-British-Hill-Climb-National-Championships-tech-gallery-36-1d61e81.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
Sorry, I thought that you were referring to a UN300, I've never used a BB30, but I believe they can be converted to Hollowtech.

Don't you have a Cannondale Supersix, popular for British hill climb races.

BikeRadar-2022-British-Hill-Climb-National-Championships-tech-gallery-36-1d61e81.jpg

Not quite a supersix it's a six pre supersix. Not as light as a supersix tbh like you titanium bike!!

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I've taken an inexpensive BB apart and it's just two bearing on an axle.

The sealed bearings can be removed and could be replaced with better quality sealed bearings.

BB.jpg

Top Bottom