What will replace the quality of the discontinued Shimano BB-UN55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
What I find interesting, is that the superior BB-UN55 uses loose ball bearings in a sealed unit, not cartridge bearings like most newer BB.

A picture of the internals of a Shimano BB-UN55.

skfopen.jpg

Below is a pic of a typical cartridge bearing that's on each end of newer BB's axle.
ss-mr22317-2rs-0.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What I find interesting, is that the superior BB-UN55 uses loose ball bearings in a sealed unit, not cartridge bearings like most newer BB.

A picture of the internals of a Shimano BB-UN55.

View attachment 667290

Below is a pic of a typical cartridge bearing that's on each end of newer BB's axle.
ss-mr22317-2rs-0.jpg

I'm going back to square taper and internal BB's. I'm sick and tired of forking out for HTII BB's every six months or so.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Nice, very nice. Would match the Chris King headset on the bike, which is a top bit of kit.

Good headsets are worthy investments.

The Rourke has a Hope headset which has been V. good, but am thinking that Chris King is worth the upgrade. At the end of the day it's the essential connection between frame and fork and deserves the best....

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good headsets are worthy investments.

The Rourke has a Hope headset which has been V. good, but am thinking that Chris King is worth the upgrade. At the end of the day it's the essential connection between frame and fork and deserves the best....

Indeed..the CK headset in my Van Nick is now over 10 years old. I took the headset apart a month back to service it. The original grease was still like new.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Try BB30!

I think the needs of commuters compared to shower dodging weekend warrior are completely different needs.

Square taper for commuting every day!

BB30 is press fit is it not?

Yep. The bike I'm swapping to square taper is my main commuter/tourer.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
To answer the question it’s already been replaced hasn’t it? There is Shimano’s own Hollowtech and it’s lookalikes plus the result of Cannondale’s pack with the devil, the hated pressfit. Then there’s the Octalink that Shimano have kicked into the long grass.
Are they quality? That depends on your experiences and point of view. Not sure the UN55 was ever quality, just a machined spindle with cups with bearings. It does have a reputation though for going on forever, something the foregoing don’t have.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
UN91 and a UN71 here, best of the best ! Old MTB runs on a UN300 now the UN55 passed away.

Don't get me started on GXP - at least I'm running a Praxxis Works one that's a doddle to change bearings. I use Enduro LLB, but it's certainly not fit and forget

Are they quality? That depends on your experiences and point of view. Not sure the UN55 was ever quality, just a machined spindle with cups with bearings. It does have a reputation though for going on forever, something the foregoing don’t have.

I don't think it eccentric to view a decent lifetime as a desirable quality! It's possibly the most tedious/awkward part of a bike to replace, so it would be nice if they consistently and comprehensively outlasted parts such as gear cables.

[Also - and I don't know why this is - based on field experience, square-taper BBs give you hundreds of miles warning of their demise. I've often known the modern stuff stop someone's ride with almost no warning. Square-taper failure has never ended a ride, IME.]

Top Bottom