What will replace the quality of the discontinued Shimano BB-UN55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

The thread still lives on ... simply because the old BBs lasted so long!

[ Meanwhile, on the Borders of Non-Square Taper Land ...
I've met an old Audax friend on events 2 weeks apart this month. On the first one he told me the saga of getting new bearings glued into his Trek Modane (?). It's at least a 2-day job (plus sourcing the unique bearings). 2 weeks later ... he'd had to replace them the night before!
It's a trek-specific standard which they've now "retired". ]

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The thread still lives on ... simply because the old BBs lasted so long!

[ Meanwhile, on the Borders of Non-Square Taper Land ...
I've met an old Audax friend on events 2 weeks apart this month. On the first one he told me the saga of getting new bearings glued into his Trek Modane (?). It's at least a 2-day job (plus sourcing the unique bearings). 2 weeks later ... he'd had to replace them the night before!
It's a trek-specific standard which they've now "retired". ]

probably the sort of thing Token do one of their "replace your shoot pressfit BB with one of our very good screw together non creaky BB""s for.

presta

Guru
I've seen people complain that Octalink were unreliable, but mine is still fine after 28,300 miles, compared with the original square taper BB that Dawes fitted, which was completely knackered at 16,300m.

I've seen people complain that Octalink were unreliable, but mine is still fine after 28,300 miles, compared with the original square taper BB that Dawes fitted, which was completely knackered at 16,300m.

I think in terms of bearing geometry/size/load, Octalink were little different from square taper, so you should get roughly similar life [dependent on QC and bearing quality]. I've only ever had one "Octa-bike", so am not immersed in the culture, sorry ...

presta

Guru
I think in terms of bearing geometry/size/load, Octalink were little different from square taper, so you should get roughly similar life [dependent on QC and bearing quality]. I've only ever had one "Octa-bike", so am not immersed in the culture, sorry ...

The Octalink was Shimano, but as the Horizon was Dawes bottom of the range tourer the original square taper BB was just a cheap unbranded one, which may have more to do with the difference.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Original Octalink had smaller bearings but its main problem was that the cranks (or the left crank only) came loose on their splines and wrecked themselves due to a basic engineering design flaw.

Jameshow

Veteran
Anyone have any thoughts on the

FSA power pro bottom bracket?

Or any other suggestions?

Cheers....

Drago

Legendary Member
Original Octalink had smaller bearings but its main problem was that the cranks (or the left crank only) came loose on their splines and wrecked themselves due to a basic engineering design flaw.
MTB V2 Octalink had deeper splines and is less troublesome, albeit not immune to issues if not extremely diligently installed and torqued.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got square taper BB's from the 80's in a couple of my bikes, take em out every year or so, pack em with fresh grease or change the bearing races (couple of quid) and they're as free running as new....................the steel and case hardening was far better than anything 'modern'

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
The old Shimano UN55 BB used larger ball bearings compared with most BB's that use 163110-2RS type cartridge bearings.

The larger UN55 bearings was probably why the BB lasted so long.

If you google the Shimano UN300 that replaced the old UN55, it's not looking good for longevity as I suspected.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The old Shimano UN55 BB used larger ball bearings compared with most BB's that use 163110-2RS type cartridge bearings.

The larger UN55 bearings was probably why the BB lasted so long.

If you google the Shimano UN300 that replaced the old UN55, it's not looking good for longevity as I suspected.

Over a year on mine so far of commuting, probably nearer 18 months.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The Shimano UN55 BB used larger ball bearings compared with most BBs that use 163110-2RS type cartridge bearings.
Guy - how do you know this? 'Most BBs'?
Research suggests the UN-300 uses 6903RS (ID17mm, OD30mm) which means (ball) bearings even smaller than the 163110.
If correct, why would Shimano increase the diameter of the spindle where the bearings rest, I wonder?
What "larger ball" bearings are in the UN-55? Might that be the 6002-2RS1?
Bore diameter15 mm
Outside diameter32 mm
Width9 mm

For ref: 163110 = https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/163110-2rs.html

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Top Bottom