What winds you up about cyclists you may see when driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
As there seems to be a lot of talk lately about the poor old cyclist being slated by car drivers etc, I got wondering , what winds you up about a cyclist you may see when driving. I suppose its like standing out of the circle of what we do and enjoy and look back in from a drivers point of view. Me personally as a cyclist ,I do tend to respect there space much more than ever now, as I know what it's like to be on the end of a close pass. I do find it however, quite frustrating when you come up to a large group of roadies enjoying there Sunday ride here in Wales. Its very difficult to find a place to overtake them safely. and as said before ,being a cyclist myself I will only go past when knowing its only going to be safe for all concerned. With this in mind it can take a long time on our twisty roads to find the right opportunity.
Don't get me wrong though, I don't begrudge them out enjoying them selves.Its just one thing I dread coming up against whilst driving.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nothing. Don't care what anyone else does, so long as it doesn't affect me directly.

bpsmith

Veteran
I agree with the pedestrian thing. But simultaneously think that they could give more respect to cyclists too. The same goes with cyclists and car drivers. It's a two way thing the whole way. People just need more time than they appear to have, I guess?

My biggest dislike is the militant cyclists empowered with cameras. Whilst they may technically be in the right in a certain situation, they soon become the villain by the way they act next...and then post it for the world to see on YouTube.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
People who ride irresponsibly and too fast on pavements and shared use paths.
Certain motorists will always despise cyclists, perceiving us as obstacles and an annoyance. Cyclists putting pedestrians in danger gives a whole other group reason to, legitimately, vilify us.

Really? Legitimately vilify us?

Yeah, bloody car drivers are murdering bastards aren't they! Bloody pedestrians, stupid idiots walking in front of us!

Really?

I think we've had this debate before. Anybody who vilifies a group based on the behaviour of a few, is a total utter and complete nobber, and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous! Oh, and the certain motorists who will always despise us, well I don't accept that they will, I think they need re-education, it's a fight we need to win. My view is you'll never beat us, so may as well join us!

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Really nothing. I see other cyclists as virtual club mates, potential friends, peers etc. Yes, I'm one of those annoying 'greet other cyclists' people, who I know annoy the grumpier members of this forum. I generally find that the share love of cycling means that when I ride with or chat with other cyclists, we get along well.

I don't really see the point in getting wound up by other cyclists, or even drivers or pedestrians, in my experience, it just potentially spoils a good ride.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Really nothing. I see other cyclists as virtual club mates, potential friends, peers etc. Yes, I'm one of those annoying 'greet other cyclists' people, who I know annoy the grumpier members of this forum. I generally find that the share love of cycling means that when I ride with or chat with other cyclists, we get along well.

I don't really see the point in getting wound up by other cyclists, or even drivers or pedestrians, in my experience, it just potentially spoils a good ride.
Brilliant post and.well said :-)

Will Spin

Über Member
When I'm driving, I don't recall anything about cyclists "winding me up". I do however get wound up by other motorists, particularly the ones that tailgate when I'm driving at the speed limit. Also, does waiting behind a group of cyclists until it is safe to overtake really make that much difference to your journey time?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Gutter huggers irritate. I can't overtake safely anyway so why not at least ride secondary if primary is more than you can bear.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Gutter huggers irritate. I can't overtake safely anyway so why not at least ride secondary if primary is more than you can bear.

I feel sorry for those cyclists rather than irritated by them. They've obviously been conditioned by previous experience of aggressive motorists to feel that the gutter is where they need to be.

If I can see a cyclist lacks confidence (eg if they're riding in the gutter), I will hang even further back in the hope that it will help them feel less intimidated.

Top Bottom