What would give me 60g of carbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A "one roll serving of fig rolls" (who serves fig rolls individually? Stingy buggers) contains 12.5g of carbs according to this.
http://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/asda/fig-rolls/1-roll

So to get 60g you need four fig rolls plus two fifths of a fig roll.

You can't over-think a fig roll.
from http://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/asda/fig-rolls/1-roll:
"Nutritional Summary:

Cals 72
Fat 2g
Carbs 12.5g
Prot 0.9g

There are 72 calories in a 1 roll serving of Asda Fig Rolls.

Calorie Breakdown: 25% fat, 70% carbs, 5% prot."

I stand by my original proposition, which is backed up by your reference. If you are looking for a fig-roll flame-war, bring it on baby, and don't mind the smell of charred biscuit-based snacks....

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Find out what the feed stations will be providing (most likely High 5 or SiS, they are probably listed as a sponsor) and try them in advance. The event is the wrong time to find out that they don't agree with your stomach. If you aren't already a racing weasel in physique (and I'm assuming you aren't as you're asking this stuff) then you really don't need to worry too much. You'll want some food, but you've already got a fair amount of reserves on you. Do a couple of rides of the right sort of distance, you'll soon get a feel for what works for you. I often think the oft quoted 60g makes some pretty serious assumptions about where you are on the Fun - Froome/Wiggins scale and forgets that you are doing a Sportive, not a Cat 3 race.
Weighing in at 78kg and 1m 86. So no I don't carry a lot of fat. I've done a 68 miler in training but felt really bad the last few miles. I am at the fun end of the spectrum but this will be my bigist challenge in terms of climbing and I want to finish it

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Cool, hope you didn't take my post as being mean by the way. That suggests you probably want to take on more fuel than last time, but bear in mind that it's also about building up the miles, so if 68 milers aren't your norm then the next one may be easier on the same amount of food (I just wouldn't risk it). You don't need to add much to the pockets though.

Naturally, as with all my 'advice', this is all worth exactly what you paid for it :-) . I'm both wider and shorter, so had a lot more in reserve when I was preparing for the Ride London 100 last year. I found I didn't need to worry as much about food intake as I was but then I found the riding got easier in the third quarter, which is counter to most peoples take on things.

Really, as you're not training for a racing season, I think you will find what works for you as you do the miles. I found that making sure I'd done the equivalent of the final event in a training run really helped me mentally on the day, although also riding with other bikes constantly around you is also a much bigger boost than I'd anticipated.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I tend to make my own banana based flapjacks and cut them up into bite size squares. Pop one in now and again on the way round and help yourself at the food stations. No idea how many carbs in them.......I just keep eating

If you aren't already a racing weasel in physique (and I'm assuming you aren't as you're asking this stuff) then you really don't need to worry too much.
I was described just last week as being "built like a Benghazi racing snake". I'm not sure if I would beat or lose to a racing weasel at veloanimal Top Trumps, but I think my lack of reserves makes it worthwhile me taking some advice about nutrition before taking on 120-odd miles. It takes a lot to make me flake, but when I go, I'm gone. Cheers.

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Cool, hope you didn't take my post as being mean by the way. That suggests you probably want to take on more fuel than last time, but bear in mind that it's also about building up the miles, so if 68 milers aren't your norm then the next one may be easier on the same amount of food (I just wouldn't risk it). You don't need to add much to the pockets though.

Naturally, as with all my 'advice', this is all worth exactly what you paid for it :-) . I'm both wider and shorter, so had a lot more in reserve when I was preparing for the Ride London 100 last year. I found I didn't need to worry as much about food intake as I was but then I found the riding got easier in the third quarter, which is counter to most peoples take on things.

Really, as you're not training for a racing season, I think you will find what works for you as you do the miles. I found that making sure I'd done the equivalent of the final event in a training run really helped me mentally on the day, although also riding with other bikes constantly around you is also a much bigger boost than I'd anticipated.
Nothing untoward take from your post. All advice can help.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Also a big carb load the night before will be a big help to you.dont overload the morning of and be caught needing a place to leave a deposit....

Colnago Master

All the seasoned riders I know eat malt loaf, Jaffa cakes, fig rolls etc. I've cycled 105 miles on half a pack of jelly babies and if you do the summer Paris-Roubaix they give you sweets, sandwiches and squash which tastes like swimming pool footbath. My body wasn't designed for gels. They always say get out riding and try different foods. If we go to Brighton and back which is about 125 miles I'll take a whole malt loaf out of its wrapper which I pick at and have a full English at the cafe stop.

young Ed

Veteran
TBH whilst 90 miles is a lot for you and it is a lot of miles it isn't enough to make nutrition and eating a real big taught. i did my first 100 miles on a couple of sandwiches (homemade), a few apples and about half a dozen snack bars. to drink, water.
i could have probably done it on less with ease and i have a feeling i ate one of the sandwiches when i was finished at home.

when you really need to start thinking about nutrition etc is if you're doing stuff like TDF and giro etc or things like Steve Abraham is doing ATM (aiming to average 205+ miles a day for every day for a year) but even he eats what ever proper meal is served up at his hosts houses

as @ianrauk said earlier, a lot of you are over thinking it.
Cheers Ed

Mr_Grieve

Über Member
It looks like the local butcher and baker are sponsoring the event so it looks like we'll have proper food (pies and cakes) at the event and not some horrible gels and energy bars :tongue:

I intend to rely on big bowl of porridge for breakfast and the feed stations during the event with some emergency carbs in my pockets. Then again I'm only doing the red route as didn't fancy all the hills in the black - too many pies this winter.

dorian

pancakes with nutella :smile: about ~45g of carbs per 100g of pancakes.i actually eat it when i go for full day trip in mountains.

Top Bottom