What would give me 60g of carbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adscrim

Veteran
I did 80 miles on Saturday on a banana and a small brioche roll (dry).

I'd go for something you like in your pockets and supplement from the feed stations. I like banana soreen, I get the idividually wrapped ones - open the packet, cut length wise and spread with nutella. Place back in packet.

Maybe have a gel in your pocket as a get me home boost. I don't like them enough to eat them across a whole ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
one fig roll.
A "one roll serving of fig rolls" (who serves fig rolls individually? Stingy buggers) contains 12.5g of carbs according to this.
http://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/asda/fig-rolls/1-roll

So to get 60g you need four fig rolls plus two fifths of a fig roll.

You can't over-think a fig roll.

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Thank for all the advice guys. The figure of 60g came from magazines and it seems to be a consistent figure which gets quoted. I intend to use the food stations and just nibble "little and often" on the road. Cheers :bravo:

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Where did you get these figures from? By most reckoning 60 grams of carbs is the amount you would find in a bowl of porridge, if this ride takes 5 or 6 hours do you really want 6 bowls of porridge under your belt?
No don't want 6 Bowles of porridge I would not get my leg over the sadle but something that gives me the equivalent.

zizou

Veteran
Thank for all the advice guys. The figure of 60g came from magazines and it seems to be a consistent figure which gets quoted. I intend to use the food stations and just nibble "little and often" on the road. Cheers :bravo:

The recommendation is to take between 30g - 60g

Thats about a large banana or a clif bar or a bottle of energy drink (for longers rides then i'd recommend something like high 5 4:1 which has protein as well as carbs) or a small boiled potato or home made rice cake. So its not a huge amount you need to carry. Little and often is a good policy, i try to avoid things that provide a quick energy boost (like gels etc) until the latter parts of the ride.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I've done a couple of sportives now and tried a few things and this works for me. A good carb rich meal and plenty of water the night before, porridge before I leave home and a banana before I start, ideally 15 minutes beforehand.
Then it's a couple of gels and energy bars in the pocket in case I feel the need for something inbetween the feed stations. High 5 4:1 energy drink is very good so that goes in the bottles.
I also like to load up my pockets with fig rolls at the feed station to nibble on my way round!

puffinbilly

Veteran

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Find out what the feed stations will be providing (most likely High 5 or SiS, they are probably listed as a sponsor) and try them in advance. The event is the wrong time to find out that they don't agree with your stomach. If you aren't already a racing weasel in physique (and I'm assuming you aren't as you're asking this stuff) then you really don't need to worry too much. You'll want some food, but you've already got a fair amount of reserves on you. Do a couple of rides of the right sort of distance, you'll soon get a feel for what works for you. I often think the oft quoted 60g makes some pretty serious assumptions about where you are on the Fun - Froome/Wiggins scale and forgets that you are doing a Sportive, not a Cat 3 race.

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
The recommendation is to take between 30g - 60g

Thats about a large banana or a clif bar or a bottle of energy drink (for longers rides then i'd recommend something like high 5 4:1 which has protein as well as carbs) or a small boiled potato or home made rice cake. So its not a huge amount you need to carry. Little and often is a good policy, i try to avoid things that provide a quick energy boost (like gels etc) until the latter parts of the ride.
Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom