what would you do? HELP!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
just to be sure he's some pics of the 'mounting points' on the allez :

100_0989.JPG

100_0990.JPG

do you still think this will work? the hole above the QR is threaded and seems fairly stong, but i'm still not sure where a rack would attach at the top?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
ilovebikes said:
just to be sure he's some pics of the 'mounting points' on the allez :

100_0989.JPG

100_0990.JPG

do you still think this will work? the hole above the QR is threaded and seems fairly stong, but i'm still not sure where a rack would attach at the top?

P clips, probably G;)
Although, on the side by the seat post, are they not attaching points, or is that somethign else?

RedBike

The first time I treid cyclo touring I ended up with a setup like this;

By buying lighter gear and leaving a lot of it at home i've now managed to get everything I need for a night into just that one pannier / everything for a week goes in the trailer with room to spare (no bags on top or panniers this time).

IMAGE_458.jpg

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
Joe24 said:
P clips, probably G;)
Although, on the side by the seat post, are they not attaching points, or is that somethign else?

they are but you cant get to the one on the left because of the brake,

Joe24

ilovebikes said:
they are but you cant get to the one on the left because of the brake,

Lies.
Why would it be there if you cant use it?
Ofcourse you will be able top get to it.

willem

Über Member
The Tubus Fly is meant for central mounting on the brake bolt, so you do not need anything on the stays. It seems as if you already have a lot: sleeping bag is light enough, and so is the tent. Stove is ok, if you bring a windscreen. One stove is enough, even for three. I would bring some long lightweight trousers (preferably where you can zip of the legs). Imagine you get to a campsite, you have a shower, and what next? You want to wash the lycra, and it is getting colder in the evening.
Willem

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have just tried it on my 5 year old Allez Sport and you can get a rack on in the conventional way. The brackets onto the seat stay braze-ons are angled to avoid the brake.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
rich p said:
I have just tried it on my 5 year old Allez Sport and you can get a rack on in the conventional way. The brackets onto the seat stay braze-ons are angled to avoid the brake.

ok good stuff, cheers rich

now does anyone know how i can convince my friends that this is possible and motivate them to actually do it? :ohmy:

willem

Über Member
It really is more fun. Support vehicles are for sissies. It can only work, however, if you really do not take too much, because your bike is a bit of a borderline case, with few spokes and all that. Avoid cheapo racks: you want the rack to do the work and not the frame. And fit that wider tyre, at the very least at the rear (take the old narrow one as a spare).
Willem

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
ilovebikes said:
now does anyone know how i can convince my friends that this is possible and motivate them to actually do it? :bravo:
Get them to read this thread, with all the positive advice from experienced CC Tourers :ohmy:

And go for it !

A further suggestion is not to take any cooking stuff and just ensure you get an evening meal in a restaurant/cafe - but this might put you over budget (and I have no experience of touring to back it up :girl:)

coopman

I would suggest you do lejog as well as mentioned in earlier posts. I would only go one way though if going unsupported, its a lot more work with gear on bike than flying along unladen.
You should get this by the folk already donated or planning to by bigging up the unsupported bit and stressing how much of a challenge that will be.
As for advice on kit, trawl through some of the keen touurers homepages, a lot of them have links to their sites on their posts, there is a wealth of info there.
Im a bit of a rookie in the world of touring but check out the kit list on my blog site as well.
Good luck guys.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
willem said:
It really is more fun.

i guess that would be how you see it if you really love cycling i.e me
but if you always thought there was going to be a van behind you and thought this would be a way to get a nice bike with a discount, and all of a sudden it dawns on you that you actually have to do it, they don't seem to see it like that... :ohmy::bravo:

Joe24

Drag them onto their bikes, and when they question your thinking, tell them to HTFU and get on with it.
Tell them theres a fit young blonde with huge boobs waiting for a hot passionate night with them at the end?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ILB, here is my old rack on the Allez. The rack bracket goes behind the brake cable with enough clearance. Also a pic of a pannier attached. If your plan takes off you're welcome to the rack if it's of any use.

DSCN2288.jpg

DSCN2289.jpg

Top Bottom