what would you do? HELP!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
ilovebikes said:
i guess that would be how you see it if you really love cycling i.e me
but if you always thought there was going to be a van behind you and thought this would be a way to get a nice bike with a discount, and all of a sudden it dawns on you that you actually have to do it, they don't seem to see it like that... :wahhey::hyper:

Cycling a 1,000 miles for a discount of a bike is a very hard way to get a discount !

If I were you, and the other guys are beginning to wobble because they don't have a support car, then I forget them, you go. you'll meet lots of others on the road. If one or both of them come along, so much the better.

You will save many hundred of pounds by doing unsupported, as no fuel both ways, no ferries both ways, no extra insurance, a lot cheaper to camp and so on, so use all that saved money on some decent cycle touring gear.

As an aside - if the others are wobbling on going without a car, then they always had the vision of letting the car do most of the distance with the bikes in the back. 80 miles a day, every day gets pretty tough, especially as a car would make you meet targets (the driver would be bored out of their mind after a few days).

Doing it unsupported means you go at your own pace, some days 20 miles, other days 80 miles. You stop at what is interesting. Frankly for a fully loaded tourer I'd work on about 250 miles a week, so about a month down to Gib.

willem

Über Member
I would hope for you that your friends will join you. It is more fun, and you can share some of the luggage. It makes quite a difference if you can share a tent, stove, tools, first aid kit, maps etc.
To be honest, a load of some 10 kilo does not really make it that much harder. You will only have to work harder when climbing, and that is where the young are at an advantage. You need to look into your gearing, however.
As for tools, do not forget to bring along a cassette remover such as the NBT 2, and some spare spokes. Discuss wheel strength with the bike shop. If they are concerned, a traditional handbuilt 36 spoke wheel with a stiff rim will solve the problem, and you will never regret having a spare traning wheel.
As for gear, I think you have the bases covered, and I think you only need to make sure that you will not take too much. I would bring a stove. Eating out is expensive.
Willem

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Oh mate. Just found this thread. Ok. First things first. I've known about the Gibraltar trip since we first met, but this is the first time I've been able to feel truly excited about it.
It was always a good idea and a worthy cause, but now its also an adventure! A fitting challenge for an accomplished cyclist such as yourself.

Good to see the forum rallying around you, too.

You say credit cards are out, but surely you have, or have access to, a Maestro debit card? These will work fine on the continent. Load the account with cash before you go, then pay as you go along the route. Check the foreign currency withdrawal charges though, as it might be more cost effective to do a daily ATM hit than lots of little transactions.
Spare change is always useful anyway. Also, you can book accomodation (including B&Bs) from this side, giving them an estimated ETA, then ringing the day before to confirm. If you've paid up front (or got a family member to do it for you) you don't even need to worry about them. Might be good to add a little structure to things, and give you some constants.

I have 4 ortlieb panniers (front and backroller classics) which you are welcome to borrow by the way. Pop over and take a squizz if you fancy. I'm in today.
The backs are better suited to heavier duty, the fronts are pretty compact. All are extremely waterproof.

Gotta tell you, my main concern at this point is your buddies. A little trepidation is entirely welcomed, but if they're hesitant over here, imagine how much worse it'll be when they've got 80 miles into the 10th day, up a hill that nobody knew about, and the b&b/camping ground is playing evasive. Its a challenge that can bring you together (dear Mouseketeers) or split you up. Nothing worse than knowing you've got to push on whilst you can hear your mates grinding about you and slowing down. Can get ugly.
Not that its a no goer at all. Just that they need to make the decision to come, and accept that responsibility. You can convince them, but you don't want to be the reason that they're there. Get me?

On a trip of this length, you'd be very lucky if you escaped without any terrible days. Facing them as a group will make them into tales.

Last thing (I'm on a blackberry so this is taking forever) don't forget you can POST a set of cycle gear, inner tubes, wash stuff, spares, socks, energy bars, etc, to a b&b half way down. Then ride to it, peel / shave off the crusty lycra, put on the fresh stuff, and post the biohazard back home. No need to carry everything.

If you live anywhere near the lake district or are up there at any point, go into BikeTreks at Ambleside. There is a guy who works in that shop (don't know his name, but I had a long chat with him), who rode from Calais to Nice last year on just a road bike with a seatpost mounted bag, over the alps too. Several of them went.

He was telling me about his luggage set up, which was a topeak rack top bag with small side panniers. It was on a seatpost mounted rack (topeak do one, max weight around 7 kilos but BBB do one that will take 10 kilos). He did it on a regular road bike with a compact double chainset.

Apart from tubes, a good multitool and pump (if you want to take more tools you can split them between you - would recommend spare spokes, an NBT2 cassetter remover, spoke key), which he put in the side panniers, he took very lightweight shorts and one t-shirt, as some pumps which could roll up really small and put in the main bag - these were for the evening. He bought pertex windproof trousers and jacket, which also roll up really small, as weather protection. Other than that, it was a travel toothbrush, travel toothpaste, travel size deodorant, suncream, soap and a small bottle of handwash liquid. You can buy small bottles in boots to decant toiletries into so you don't have to take a lot. Boots also do small versions of normal toiletries for travel.

If you are staying in B&Bs/hotels, the proprietor will often wash and dry your cycling clothes for you if you ask nicely. You only need one set of cycling clothes if you wash them every night. They were doing 100 mile days and got there in 9 days.

This is totally doable, roadie style, without support. The only other thing you'll need is the torn out pages of a road atlas.

samid

Guru
As somebody else mentioned, dump the stove etc. Just eat out (you don't need to go to fancy restaurants - fast food joints are ok, you'll burn all the saturated fats quickly on a tour ;) ) or buy bread/cheese/ham/wine - things you can eat without cooking.

For luggage - another option is to use a Carradice Longflap saddle bag instead of panniers, with bulky items like a tent strapped on top (a supporting rack would still be a good idea though).

Search this and CTC forums for "light" or "ultralight" - you'll find tons of good advice in threads like this for example.

Just do it, the harder it is the better memories you'll have afterwards.

If it helps, I did my last week-long tour with nothing more than a Carradice saddlebag. It **is** possible, although I think you should consider a rethink of your mileages.
Fit and keen as you obviously are, 80 miles a day is A Lot.

buggi

Bird Saviour
haven't read all the replies so not sure if it's been suggested, but perhaps you could contact your local rag and/or radio station(s) and ask if they could put a call for help out. Some van hire firm may be willing to lend you a van or do you one cheap, as its for charity.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
(I believe there is talk of a new driver having been sourced, with van, but a revised ride date. Suspect ILB will be along shortly to update us.)

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
well this thread has well and truly wet my appetite for solo and unsupported touring ;) thanks guys

the revised plan is for a july 5th start, we now have a nissan terrano to follow us, and a driver to make it follow us, now most likely cycling to newhaven and crossing to dieppe. then staying on the west side of france, crossing into spain on the west coast, and then heading directly south through spain to gibraltar.

but i will definately be looking into unsupported touring, possibly even in august (perhaps lejog as a start point) as i have plenty of time to do it in... who knows... :wacko:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
So have you worked out how you are going to keep us all informed of your progress, highs and lows - all with photos, of course ??? ;)

The response so far to this thread would seem to indicate that there IS some interest :wacko:

Tynan

Veteran
boooo

I was all for the unsupported plan, so much more manly and exciting, a support vehicle sounds like your dad coming

cracking thread none the less

Arch

Married to Night Train
ilovebikes said:
the revised plan is for a july 5th start, we now have a nissan terrano to follow us, and a driver to make it follow us, now most likely cycling to newhaven and crossing to dieppe. then staying on the west side of france, crossing into spain on the west coast, and then heading directly south through spain to gibraltar.

If you want to head out of Dieppe, to the South East, find the Avenue Vert. 25-30 miles of off road ex-railway path. Passes through Neufchatel en Bray, and onto Forges-les-Eaux. It's wide, and smooth, and lovely, not like the average path over here! There are gates (with big gaps either side) where there were level crossings, but with care you can ride straight across. Just remember which way to look first! It's a nice intro to France, and to practice your 'bonjour!' with oncoming cyclists...

Top Bottom