what would you do if you were stuck abroad right now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
probably the novelty would wear off once you'd realised you were having to spend money that you weren't earning and hadn't planned on spending....

apart from that it would be ok

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
...but hitchhiking back would be kinda fun... as long as you didn't meet a serial killer. you would see so much of the inbetween bits that you usually miss. and it would be a story to tell for years to come.

If it had been a month earlier I would have been near to trying this out.I reckon my money may have lasted 50 days if lucky.Then what?

I was at Karon Beach,Thailand.

Get a job out there?

I don't think it would be as much fun as people like to imagine.
I reckon my work would get the hump as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've a very bonnie colleague from Marketing who is in Bruges on her honeymoon and apparently can't even get on Eurostar.

I bet she'll be sore when she eventually gets home.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think it would depend on whether you were on your own/couple or a family/larger group. If you are on your own - its probably much easier trying to get one space on a train than trying to keep a family group together, and I could imagine my kids could be really seriously irritating whilst I was stressing trying to sort it out.

I know of a couple of friends of family who are stuck in NZ and Australia respectively staying with family and both couples (all retired) are currently out there visiting family. So in that situation you would just sit back and enjoy your extra time. More stressful if you had a child about to take some of their GCSE's which my daughter is sitting one next week and one of her class mates is currently stuck out in Spain.

C

chillyuk

My daughter has been stuck in Majorca for a few days, and she has her not very fit 70 year old mother with her (my ex from many years ago). Not an ideal combination for roughing it across Europe so she took the decision to stay put and wait for the airline to repatriate them. It was a sensible decision and they are supposed to be starting their journey home today. Thomson are using one of their cruise ships to get people from the island to Barcelona and then coaching them to a channel port and home to Stansted.

C

chillyuk

Globalti said:
Was that the cruise ship that got Norovirus?

I don't know, and to be honest, I doubt many people on it will be too concerned if it gets them off onto their journey home :laugh:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I guess it could be a fun adventure, but for many it will be a nightmare... I remember being stuck in Mallorca with Mrs F and our then only kid, who was about 1.5 yrs old... delays caused first by cancellation of flight, then by having to wait for police to remove drunken woman from plane... spent our last few pennies on water for the baby... was a bit of a nightmare!

jay clock

Massive member
I took 29 hrs to get from Prague leaving on Friday. It was not exciting but I was having thoughts about switching off my mobile, putting an Out of Office saying "travelling back from Czech" and buying a bike to cycle back

We drove to Brussels, stayed a "night" (2am to 6.30am) then train to Calais. Annoyingly all the press and websites were trying to frighten off people from turning up at Calais as foot passengers, so my Dad drove over on a day trip with the car (£72 return for 3 people vs €130 for 2 foot passengers) and then my colleague's wife came to Dover to get us.

We had a much much easier trip than 90% - all costs paid by the company, mobile bills ditto, and managed to rent a car as one of the people I was with had a Hertz gold card which seemed to overcome the "sold out" message

The saddest case was a Brit at Brussels on Saturday. Went to Oslo for a day trip and was still in the same clothes clutching his laptop bag. He finally had a Eurostar ticket for late Saturday. He really looked like one of those "smart tramps" who wear a suit and shirt but look closely and they are very grubby!

It must be hard for the elderly, those with little backup in terms of mobile, credit card etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We are stuck in southern Turkey, fortunately Thomas Cook are looking after us. It's hard work keeping two young kids of 6 & 9 happy as they are really missing home and school. Starting to get tedious as no one has any real news on if when how well be moving, and Turkey is a logistical nightmare to get a family back home.

At least its warm and sunny. Gonna cut down on food now as all this eating and no exersise is no good. Had a bit of a scare a few days ago......went flying walking past the kids pool, landed with a smack square on my back and head on the marble flooring......knocked the wind right out of me. Been in agony thelast couple of days round my whole rib cage...thought I'd cracked a rib or two. Fortunately its now clearing. Hoping to be able to use the gym.

My holiday entitlement is disappearing rapidly.....

Top Bottom