What would you say is the number one reason for cleaning your bicycle on a regular basis?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
If i never cleaned my wheels I'd probably miss the cracks forming around spokes. Counterintuitively, that seems to happen on wheels with steel eyelets.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Found this whilst cleaning:

dscf1232-jpg.jpg

Always worthwhile ...

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Looking for faults - worn brake blocks, damaged chain, buckled wheel, frame issues etc

D

Deleted member 26715

Cos it forces water where you really don't want water, headsets bottom brackets are the favourite places, they're designed to keep put passing water, not water under high pressure.

screenman

Legendary Member
Pressure washing a bike is like cleaning your old 78's with turps

Please tell me why, I have been using a jet wash on my bikes for as long as I can remember certainly 40 years. I even use the jetwash on my shoes if I have had a muddy off road ride.

Remember it is the tool holding the tool that does the damage and this tool knows how to use a jetwash on his bikes.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cos it forces water where you really don't want water, headsets bottom brackets are the favourite places, they're designed to keep put passing water, not water under high pressure.

Only if you are the sort of thick person who would point it directly at those points, even then you would have to leave it on a long time, used properly it does much the same as riding the bike in the rain.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzbpHGyFzc8

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Clean bikes break less and are easier to find issues when they do.

Less wear and tear on consumsbles like chains and cassettes.

I like clean stuff, my motorbikes are treated the same

This. Wouldn't have spotted a half snapped chain on the MTB without cleaning it. Clean bikes are the fastest, and just look good, you scruffy urchin. ^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
Just don't (Some say a Jetwash is no issue - I say (and a pro-mechanic friend) that jetwash water penetrates beyond the usual cavities and beyond)

Then your mechanic does not know how to use a jetwash, this guy knows it does his bikes no harm.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm of the view that cleaning is a part of maintenance. I clean any moving parts (derailleurs, chain, cables) before lubing them.

However, I share the view that maintenance is better than cleaning alone.

I know several car mechanics who drive tired looking cars, but under the hood, they are meticulously maintained.

Then, there's the motorists who take their car to the hand wash place every weekend but the bonnet rarely gets lifted for fluid checks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom