What would you say is the number one reason for cleaning your bicycle on a regular basis?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I guess the difference is.... that i just say what i do, i dont tell others to do the same.
Calm down calm down, it's only a bit of banter, if you're offended, then I have nothing to offer

subaqua

What’s the point
THIS^^^ The cleaning often goes hand in hand with the attention to detail that means possible faults are noticed. This is why clean bikes are claimed to be more reliable. The two things are not mutually inclusive though and one does not necessarily mean the other. It is possible to have an unclean bike that is maintained and inspected as closely as a regularly washed example and is perfectly reliable (like my commuter).

and mine. its filthy, but maintained. its due a big clean at half term .

Drago

Legendary Member
Function and longevity. To clean it properly requires touching every component - you'll soon know if something is loose or damaged. Removing excess abrasives for a drivetrain promo vs it's lifespan and maintains the quality of function. Removing dirt from elsewhere gives nowhere for moisture to hide and attack the surface below. So not exactly one reason, but several reasons all under the same general heading.

D

Deleted member 26715

A cleaner bike impresses more chicks ;)
I've seen geese & ducks looking as well, there was a buzzard having a good look the other day.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Isn't "a turned down low jet washer" basically a very expensive way of getting hosepipe-strength water delivery? Is it even accurate to call it a "blast with the jetwash" if it's not blasting or even jetting?

Actually no, a jet wash uses significantly less water than a hose. Very simple study by myself is there aren't big puddles from jet washing my car after a wash compared to using the hose. Also far less standing water on a patio or decking from using the jet wash.

I give my bike a deep clean then use car wax on the frame. It sheds dirt better and needs little cleaning. Once a year whether it needs it or not.
The disc stay cleaner than rim brakes and my hub gear runs cleaner than derailleur. Just have to eliminate the chain now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom