What your preference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Personally, I would much prefer to go from A to B and not A to B and back to A again as most of us do I should think. When I get to B, I am not keen to turn round and go back, I would much prefer to carry on, like a TDF stage for example but unfortunately it is not practical as I can't move my house to another point. The further out I go, the more I think " I have to do all that back again" and somehow the return journey is less enjoyable that the outbound one.

I tend not to go A to B then back to A the same way, I'd much rather come back a different route.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't mind either way.
I like retracing a route just as much as I like a circular route.
However far I go, I always work it to cycle back home anyway. Last resort is getting a train back.

GrasB

Veteran
I'm not to bothered about it my self. That said in Italy I prefer to do out & back via the same route. Normally the outbound & inbound challenges are completely different... but that's alpine riding for you. That said I'll admit to sometimes planning very tough rides my return route to take some of the lovely long & fast mountain roads... even if it is just for look on people faces (I like my >60t chainrings :biggrin: )

MarkF

Guru
Agree with OP, I wish I could just keep going, forever, "returning" is miserable.

When I see people showing routes for a touring holiday and it's a circular route, I have to bite my tongue, are they mad? :wacko:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A-B-A is fine for me, though I'll rarely take exactly the same route home. The B bit is almost always somewhere new. Back to A is good because the world looks and feels different on the way home anyway and I can make a better pot of leaf tea than I can buy at C,D or E. Besides, A is at sea level so it's downhill....

mwktar

Über Member
I'm always up for loops, but a fellow rider friend prefers turning round and heading back, he says its easier because he knows the route as he knows he's on his way home

Depends on how I feel.

I tend to tour in a linear fashion. Train to start and then from the finish

Days out can vary on company and others factors but tend to be circular.

The IoW Randonnee is both as the route to the start is a return along the same route, and the Island circular

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I want to cycle to my relatives house in Manchester some time this summer. It is a 65 mile journey (I know where I am going but will take a map anyway).
I plan to cycle from A to B on one day, sleep over, then cycle from B to A on the next. The main thing I am waiting for is the right weather (which doesnt look like it will come).

I prefer to go one way. You can go further distances then.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Will always do a loop, never come back the way i go, found a new one today got a bit lost on the way back, it only added a couple of miles so no prob.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I tend to get to B then go oh I can go a little bit further end up doing the 20 or so miles it takes to get back and I run out of energy. Im not very good on long rides :P. If i do long rides i tend to stick in a 15mile radius of home ha

Top Bottom