What3Words Going Mainstream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Our local 999 types advocate using it.

I can see the issue with pronunciation, and literacy issues. Our local accent could cause issues I guess. As to multiple word sets for a house, as it's broken down to 3m x 3m and our house is considerably larger especially if you include the 'grounds', we do get more than one set for our house.

D

Deleted member 26715

Had a push notice today (must remember to switch them off) but they are trying to attract crowdfunding, good idea to invest?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Had a push notice today (must remember to switch them off) but they are trying to attract crowdfunding, good idea to invest?
They are just another attempt to enclose common knowledge. You may think it's a good idea to invest if you would have supported Thomas "most odious in this country" Tresham in the Midland Revolt, rather than the villagers.

D

Deleted member 26715

They are just another attempt to enclose common knowledge. You may think it's a good idea to invest if you would have supported Thomas "most odious in this country" Tresham in the Midland Revolt, rather than the villagers.

I think I have heard of his cousin Thomas "the tank" Engine.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

If they were going to succeed they would have done so by now - and success would have manifested itself by their being bought up by Apple or Google or Amazon or similar. That hasn't happened.

The fact that they're scratching around for crowdfunding at this stage doesn't bode well for them.

It's a clever idea, but has no killer use case and a lot of flaws.

keithmac

Guru
I'm surprised Sat Navs haven't taken it up, I use Co-Pilot and can feed it a location from What 3 Words app on my screen.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm surprised Sat Navs haven't taken it up, I use Co-Pilot and can feed it a location from What 3 Words app on my screen.

They have, quite a few include the functionality. W3W seem to think they have the golden goose and so hold out on pricing. Over 15 years ago I made the recommendation to my company to buy W3W and open source it, this was ignored. We now licence the data at a pretty significant cost.

D

Deleted member 26715

They have, quite a few include the functionality. W3W seem to think they have the golden goose and so hold out on pricing. Over 15 years ago I made the recommendation to my company to buy W3W and open source it, this was ignored. We now licence the data at a pretty significant cost.

Don't you just hate that, you have a great idea & nobody with the say so agrees, I once suggested we wrote an integrated VoIP system for Facebook & was advised there's no point it won't be here in a couple of years,

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Impressive given what three words was only founded 9 years ago.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Impressive given what three words was only founded 9 years ago.

The company may have only been founded 9 years ago, but they hawked the idea around long before that. Although looking at my old emails, it was Feb 2009 I made my proposal so not 15 but 13.

As an aside, my company went with another idea that would assign an ID to every human at birth that they could then geolocate themselves. Kind of like a moving personal post code. It was a terrible idea.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As an aside, my company went with another idea that would assign an ID to every human at birth that they could then geolocate themselves. Kind of like a moving personal post code. It was a terrible idea.
I think it's a great idea. And should be quite easy to do and wouldn't have any data protection or privacy concerns either. Coolio.:wacko:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think it's a great idea. And should be quite easy to do and wouldn't have any data protection or privacy concerns either. Coolio.:wacko:

Exactly - I have no idea how much we paid for the concept, but it got killed pretty quickly. Just one of the many dodgy decisions made over the years. You certainly will have heard of the company and would have had one of their phones.

D

Deleted member 26715

Tattooed onto the back of their neck or on their forearm?

Top Bottom