Whatcha got, hows it going ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I have a Haibike hardtail e-mtb bought late last year, 630 KWh model. 500 miles on it now.

Lets get the stuff I dislike about it out of the way: its really heavy at 26kg. Manoeuvring in tight spaces while off the bike requires some effort especially as the handlebars are rather wide.

Now to the good stuff: its really good off road. The geometry of the bike suits me very well. It has a Yamaha 65Nm motor with 5 power modes including zero power (with 4 being the highest). I usually ride in modes 1 or 2 on the flats and 2 or 3 on hills. If its windy then 2 or 3 on flats and 3 or 4 on hills.

It has 2.6 inch wide 29er tyres so it crushes through terrain that my other mtb (2.25in wide 29er) does not cope with as well. The brakes are fantastic SLX.

The motor makes a slight whirring sound which is no bother to me. One thing to note is when reducing the power mode (suppose you are in 3 then drop to 2) it feels like you have a much more drastic drop in power than the one step difference would suggest so i drop two modes down and one mode up which seems to address the issue).

I ride this e-bike when I just don't want to pedal much or I want a quick blast up the steep hill and do a couple of laps of a downhill course. I use the non-e-bikes a lot more frequently but still thoroughly enjoy riding the electric one and it allows me to explore places that I do not have time for otherwise.

If I was going to buy a similar bike to this again, I would opt for the lower 500KWh model which also has lower end components and a lower end shock. Or, I would have gone for a full-sus lower spec model which would end up at a similar price to the one I have. I hope to keep this bike for 10 years and I hope it will last especially since I keep the mileage low and thus do not need to charge it frequently. IIRC it has 00 charge cycles before a tiny drop in battery capacity is observed.

The first few times I took it out on road only, I got 140km riding at power level 1 on flats, 2 on hills, and it still had 40% battery capacity left. These days I use the higher power levels as I think what's the point of having an e-bike if I don't use the power? I think I get at least 50 miles per charge off road so at 1000 miles per year, that's 20 charge cycles, so theoretically the battery should last 25 years. Even if my figures are not correct, i should get at least 10 years which is the minimum period I would like to keep the bike.

Here's a link from the manufacturer showing a pic and I love the unusual colour which is one of the reasons I bought this specific model.

Edit: typos, grammar, additional info.

Last edited:

frazzled

Hey everyone, enjoyed reading about all your experiences.

I've loved cycling since childhood, but only got an ebike for commuting after being an idiot and losing my driving licence.

That was two years ago and I did no research at all, just bought a SAMEBIKE because it was cheap.

Done about 5000 miles on it and am impressed. The frame is very solid (damn heavy though and hard work to pedal without assist). Some bits are clearly built down to price - it's kinda the Ford Transit of the bike world, solid and cheap.

Wouldn't be my choice for fun, but it gets a lot of attention, all positive.

Battery though... Definitely losing capacity. But, over time you get to know the limit and its continual reduction. A replacement is nearly £300 though, ouch!

sb.JPG

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I have a Haibike hardtail e-mtb bought late last year, 630 KWh model. 500 miles on it now.

Lets get the stuff I dislike about it out of the way: its really heavy at 26kg. Manoeuvring in tight spaces while off the bike requires some effort especially as the handlebars are rather wide.

Now to the good stuff: its really good off road. The geometry of the bike suits me very well. It has a Yamaha 65Nm motor with 5 power modes including zero power (with 4 being the highest). I usually ride in modes 1 or 2 on the flats and 2 or 3 on hills. If its windy then 2 or 3 on flats and 3 or 4 on hills.

It has 2.6 inch wide 29er tyres so it crushes through terrain that my other mtb (2.25in wide 29er) does not cope with as well. The brakes are fantastic SLX.

The motor makes a slight whirring sound which is no bother to me. One thing to note is when reducing the power mode (suppose you are in 3 then drop to 2) it feels like you have a much more drastic drop in power than the one step difference would suggest so i drop two modes down and one mode up which seems to address the issue).

I ride this e-bike when I just don't want to pedal much or I want a quick blast up the steep hill and do a couple of laps of a downhill course. I use the non-e-bikes a lot more frequently but still thoroughly enjoy riding the electric one and it allows me to explore places that I do not have time for otherwise.

If I was going to buy a similar bike to this again, I would opt for the lower 500KWh model which also has lower end components and a lower end shock. Or, I would have gone for a full-sus lower spec model which would end up at a similar price to the one I have. I hope to keep this bike for 10 years and I hope it will last especially since I keep the mileage low and thus do not need to charge it frequently. IIRC it has 00 charge cycles before a tiny drop in battery capacity is observed.

The first few times I took it out on road only, I got 140km riding at power level 1 on flats, 2 on hills, and it still had 40% battery capacity left. These days I use the higher power levels as I think what's the point of having an e-bike if I don't use the power? I think I get at least 50 miles per charge off road so at 1000 miles per year, that's 20 charge cycles, so theoretically the battery should last 25 years. Even if my figures are not correct, i should get at least 10 years which is the minimum period I would like to keep the bike.

Here's a link from the manufacturer showing a pic and I love the unusual colour which is one of the reasons I bought this specific model.

Edit: typos, grammar, additional info.

Nice looking bike, but I think you might of got the range slightly wrong 140km is 85miles and still have 40% left. That is exceptional range from a 630Watt/hr battery

mustang1

Guru
Nice looking bike, but I think you might of got the range slightly wrong 140km is 85miles and still have 40% left. That is exceptional range from a 630Watt/hr battery

Yeah i know!!! I absolutely know!! Thats unusually exceptional range!! I can only think of a few possibilities:
1. I had it on lowest power setting.
2. I am mistaken.

But then again I'm sure ive seen wild estimations of range in unrealistic scenarios (like who in the world rides on power level 1?) so it could be true?

CXRAndy

Guru
20220531_141451.jpg

Top Bottom