1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whatever the Weather...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Aperitif, 19 Apr 2008.

1. So I said I would ride in the face of the weather today - when I wrote on here.
    Flippin' 'eck the wind was blasting against me as I toiled to Richmond Park for a 'quick' spin of defiance. (hur hur...:wacko:)
    Drizzle and wind were my companions but I didn't care. I did a circuit 'clockwise' and realised that not a soul was being that stupid...and then another 'anti-clock', when I was able to apply the fixed grin of cyclechatlove to all those struggling in the opposite direction.
    I was wearing my CycleChat jersey and I guess there was an aura about me - a bit like the Ready Brek advert...
    By this time, my back wheel had assumed the shape of a mildly formed Pringle (:sad:) and I decided to roll back home - glancing down and back at regular intervals, hoping I could 'do a Paul McKenna' and hypnotise the wheel back into shape.:becool:
    I'm rubbish at hypnosis (added to a long list) but the rain had temporarily ceased as I passed the junction which is Twickenham Town Centre one way, Twickenham Stadium the other, and The Stoop (home of Harlequins RFC and RL) straight on.
    Well.
    Suddenly there was a beep, then another - the sound of revving motor and an appearance of a silver car alongside me. The passenger window was down and a woman was screaming blasphemies at me!:thumbsup:
    She was going mad - for no reason (to do with me).
    I bade her good day and, as loudly as I could shout, I told her to go away in short sharp jerky movements (this could have been a problem in itself as she looked like an airbag in a cardigan with hairy rats atop).
    Coincidentally, there was a group of Castleford rugby league supporters within earshot to my left, making their way to the rugby league match and I managed to 'catch their attention' so I waved and said 'not you lot' etc etc...:thumbsdown::tongue:
    (The woman is probably laying into Stavros at the kebab shop as I write - nasty, plump piece of human.):biggrin:
    I even took my camera to get an ice cream van photo, but even the opportunists around RP had called it a day...never mind.
    So.
    Bang on 46km.
    A nice cup of tea and a bit of food and all's well (apart from my rear wheel)
    Ksyrium. How much to fix it - anyone know? Never happened to me before.:sad:

2. Milo

Milo Veteran

Between a fiver or 10 pounds for a wheel true normally.

3. Ta puppydog :becool:

4. Milo

Milo Veteran

Woof

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

What is wrong with riding on proper roads - not pootling round a park ! Heh heh ....

6. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Class! :thumbsdown:

7. longers

longers Veteran

Good report on a ride could have had a negative slant put on it. But that's not your style.

Cheers for that :becool:.

8. I was on a CycleChat mission of course. Spreading the wingsword.
    I read about stuff on here so I thought it would be a nice opportunity for me to get to know some birds in Richmond Park.
    I hear some of them are lesser spotted (on a good day anyway...)
    There are plenty of young deer, standing like the cheering throng at the roadside of a TdF stage (the drugs were kicking in by now...:becool:) and there were many big black birdies with grey hats and nasty beaks (rooks/ crows?) perched at low level on top of the wooden posts that line the peaceful route.
    I also saw a quite large bird that looked like a heron - maybe a bit bigger - with webbed feet and orangey brown wing tips :thumbsdown: (well I had been a bit heady on the Finish Line 'Wet'...)
    Ponies, setters, retrievers, collies and a few mountainbikeris rucksackius completed the picture.
    Far preferable to the sweatybrained overinflated chav I had the pleasure of later on...:thumbsup:

9. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

If I hadn't just picked a sig line that would now be it :becool:

I loved reading that, I do wonder why those crows were lining up though, perhaps they sensed the end.

10. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

Fkin car drivers