What's a bent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a recumbrant bike, although when I was younger it meant something entirely different!

byegad

Legendary Member
Before you ask. A DF is a Diamond Frame bike or upright, in some of the more extreme postings an upwrong is an upright is a DF. Cagers are occupants of cars.

NickM

Veteran
"bent": type of cycle which is both more comfortable and more fun than its upright cousin :blush:

See here!

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
Or... a recumbent tricycle - even more fun in my opinion...

EG: http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/
man, they look like great fun! I imagine you can build up some serious speed on one of those machines (low centre of gravity, greater power on pedals etc). I must try a 'bent one day. Somehow.

wafflycat

Maz said:
man, they look like great fun! I imagine you can build up some serious speed on one of those machines (low centre of gravity, greater power on pedals etc). I must try a 'bent one day. Somehow.

They are serious fun. I have an ICE T and I refer to it as my 'smilemobile' due to the reaction I get from folk as I pedal along. Mine is not the lightest of machines - on the flat I'm slower on the 'bent than I am on the upright bike - but the 'bent is heavier. On uphills the 'bent is slower but easier - you can go as slow as you like and you're not going to wobble & fall off. Plus you can stop - stick on the parking brake & the thing won't roll away from you. Going downhill is fun - it's like having your own personal rollercoaster. And it's very, very stable - so when the roads are slippy, it's my steed of choice.

cyclebum

I imagine they take a bit of getting used to. On the occasions I have had to use the recumbant style of gym bikes (but only when there is no choice), I find it difficult to pick up the speed on it, and within 20 mins I have to stop due to the extreme pain in my hips which I don't get on an upright. :smile:

wafflycat

Certainly the 'bent trike didn't take any getting used to at all. Don't equate the Spawn of Stan that is a gym bike with a *proper* 'bent. It's like comparing an upright gym exercise bike with a proper upright bike: apples & oranges.

Top Bottom