1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's a bent?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mac66, 20 Feb 2008.

1. Mac66

Mac66 Senior Member

Simple as that. I'm just not down with the lingo:blush:

2. It's a recumbrant bike, although when I was younger it meant something entirely different!

3. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

4. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Or... a recumbent tricycle - even more fun in my opinion...

EG: http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/

'coz on three wheels you can go as slow as you like uphill and as fast as you like downhill!:blush:

And when you're out for the day, you always have a comfy picnic chair with you!

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Funny looking thing you lie down in to ride - for lazy cyclists who also like to go very fast :blush:;)

6. andygates

andygates New Member

That would be a 'brant' then..? You big brander...

7. lol, what's a brander? I knew I had spelt it incorrectly but was overcome with lazyness to change it!!

8. byegad

byegad Guru

Before you ask. A DF is a Diamond Frame bike or upright, in some of the more extreme postings an upwrong is an upright is a DF. Cagers are occupants of cars.

9. NickM

NickM Veteran

"bent": type of cycle which is both more comfortable and more fun than its upright cousin :blush:

See here!

10. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Some people insist that they're a type of bike but most cyclist know bwtter:evil:;)

11. Maz

Maz Guru

man, they look like great fun! I imagine you can build up some serious speed on one of those machines (low centre of gravity, greater power on pedals etc). I must try a 'bent one day. Somehow.

12. Wedgie. Another term for a "normal" bike.
    Recumbents are lots of fun!

13. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

They are serious fun. I have an ICE T and I refer to it as my 'smilemobile' due to the reaction I get from folk as I pedal along. Mine is not the lightest of machines - on the flat I'm slower on the 'bent than I am on the upright bike - but the 'bent is heavier. On uphills the 'bent is slower but easier - you can go as slow as you like and you're not going to wobble & fall off. Plus you can stop - stick on the parking brake & the thing won't roll away from you. Going downhill is fun - it's like having your own personal rollercoaster. And it's very, very stable - so when the roads are slippy, it's my steed of choice.

14. cyclebum

cyclebum Senior Member

I imagine they take a bit of getting used to. On the occasions I have had to use the recumbant style of gym bikes (but only when there is no choice), I find it difficult to pick up the speed on it, and within 20 mins I have to stop due to the extreme pain in my hips which I don't get on an upright. :smile:

15. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Certainly the 'bent trike didn't take any getting used to at all. Don't equate the Spawn of Stan that is a gym bike with a *proper* 'bent. It's like comparing an upright gym exercise bike with a proper upright bike: apples & oranges.