What's a bent?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mac66, 20 Feb 2008.

1. Mac66

Mac66 Senior Member

Simple as that. I'm just not down with the lingo:blush:

2. It's a recumbrant bike, although when I was younger it meant something entirely different!

3. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

4. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Or... a recumbent tricycle - even more fun in my opinion...

EG: http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/

'coz on three wheels you can go as slow as you like uphill and as fast as you like downhill!:blush:

And when you're out for the day, you always have a comfy picnic chair with you!

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Funny looking thing you lie down in to ride - for lazy cyclists who also like to go very fast :blush:;)

6. andygates

andygates New Member

That would be a 'brant' then..? You big brander...

7. lol, what's a brander? I knew I had spelt it incorrectly but was overcome with lazyness to change it!!

8. byegad

byegad Guru

Before you ask. A DF is a Diamond Frame bike or upright, in some of the more extreme postings an upwrong is an upright is a DF. Cagers are occupants of cars.

9. NickM

NickM Veteran

"bent": type of cycle which is both more comfortable and more fun than its upright cousin :blush:

See here!

10. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Some people insist that they're a type of bike but most cyclist know bwtter:evil:;)

11. Maz

Maz Guru

man, they look like great fun! I imagine you can build up some serious speed on one of those machines (low centre of gravity, greater power on pedals etc). I must try a 'bent one day. Somehow.

12. Wedgie. Another term for a "normal" bike.
    Recumbents are lots of fun!

13. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

They are serious fun. I have an ICE T and I refer to it as my 'smilemobile' due to the reaction I get from folk as I pedal along. Mine is not the lightest of machines - on the flat I'm slower on the 'bent than I am on the upright bike - but the 'bent is heavier. On uphills the 'bent is slower but easier - you can go as slow as you like and you're not going to wobble & fall off. Plus you can stop - stick on the parking brake & the thing won't roll away from you. Going downhill is fun - it's like having your own personal rollercoaster. And it's very, very stable - so when the roads are slippy, it's my steed of choice.

14. cyclebum

cyclebum Senior Member

I imagine they take a bit of getting used to. On the occasions I have had to use the recumbant style of gym bikes (but only when there is no choice), I find it difficult to pick up the speed on it, and within 20 mins I have to stop due to the extreme pain in my hips which I don't get on an upright. :smile:

15. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Certainly the 'bent trike didn't take any getting used to at all. Don't equate the Spawn of Stan that is a gym bike with a *proper* 'bent. It's like comparing an upright gym exercise bike with a proper upright bike: apples & oranges.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice