What's a good thing to eat whilst riding for energy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Eat everything? All the time? Bit of a pig. ‘Parrently I use 600 calories an hour pushing my steel steed (must learn how to use the pedals).

Generally, though, bananas & jelly babies do the job.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Last edited:
600 kcal/hr seems not an unreasonable stab in the dark, at least from what I've read - which may be utter cobblers for all I know. But there are so many variables (effort level, terrain, weight , blah blah) it doesn't mean all that much.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitne...ed-cycling-everything-you-need-to-know-326362
it means a fair bit if you are trying to control your weight and not flatter yourself. As many do - going for a ride and then having a congratulatory bottle and snack feast.

600 cals an hour would mean that a man would burn their entire daily recommended cal intake in four hours - I think the bicycle and human body are more efficient than that.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
600 cals an hour would mean that a man would burn their entire daily recommended cal intake in four hours - I think the bicycle and human body are more efficient than that.
Yep. I think so too. I'm not doing quite so much these days, but back when I was regularly doing long rides most days, I can't say it made much if any difference to my weight. Maybe I just ate too much to compensate! :laugh:

Yep. I think so too. I'm not doing quite so much these days, but back when I was regularly doing long rides most days, I can't say it made much if any difference to my weight. Maybe I just ate too much to compensate! :laugh:
the food industry plays on this of course - saying good things about exercise as a means to weight reduction, giving you the green light to eat their stuff, much of which is junk, and diverting any attempts to regulate them.

nonowt

Über Member
Not keen on the idea of gels and I find flapjack can be a big claggy to eat on the move. Along with the fairly standard banana, I'm a big fan of these guava energy blocks. 100% natural, really easy to eat on the move and wrapped in a leaf so no litter worries. I've only had the classic guava version (taste like fruit pastilles but less artificial), so I can't vouch for the other flavours. Wiggle, Condor, sigma and probably a few other places sell them. I always have breakfast before setting off and I find one block plus a banana is usually enough to get me round a 40-50 mile route (along with half a nuun tablet in the bidon).

Top Bottom