What's a good thing to eat whilst riding for energy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I must be a freak coz I can ride 50-60 miles without needing to eat. If I do eat then it is just normal stuff, i.e; supermarket sandwiches, pies, full English breakfast, flapjack, cake & coffee, etc.
I drink plain water and eat/drink nothing sports/isotonic/energy etc.
I am riding lejog next week and I'm pretty certain not one of the four man team will be carrying anything to supplement normal food and plain water (@nickyboy can maybe confirm this?).

I can definitely confirm that the other three riders love my cherry flapjack

raggydoll

Über Member
I must be a freak coz I can ride 50-60 miles without needing to eat. If I do eat then it is just normal stuff, i.e; supermarket sandwiches, pies, full English breakfast, flapjack, cake & coffee, etc.
I am riding lejog next week and I'm pretty certain not one of the four man team will be carrying anything to supplement normal food and plain water (@nickyboy can maybe confirm this?).

View attachment 595318

That cherry flapjack looks amazing! Easy to make?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
granola with mixed fruit in and a coffee sets me up for a good 40 miles with just a bottle of water with electrolyte tab , like others have said theres more going on than just bonking.
I just rode 11 miles home after late shift , got home at 1 am and not eaten since 8 pm which was just a sarnie and my energy levels were fine

raggydoll

Über Member
Depends..... Do you like syrup, butter and brown sugar bound together by a sprinkling of oats? :laugh:
Sounds good to me! ^_^

If I go on a longer ride, I bring with me a couple of raw/nakd bars. I find them easier to eat on the go as they require less chewing than the standard oat/granola bar. They feel less dry and go down more smoothly, at least for me.

To make it safer and easier I slightly open the package before starting the ride. You might as well try to break the bars in half and have eat half a bar every 30 minutes rather than 1 whole bar every hour.

If I go on a very long ride I bring a top tube bag filled with m&m's and candy (gummy bears, cola bottles, sour patch kids....you name it, I probably got it in my bag :laugh:)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

View attachment 595318

Fairly typical if you’ve built a decent endurance base.

Top Bottom