What's a good thing to eat whilst riding for energy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Out for 3.5 hours ride this morning. Couldn’t even spy a bonk on the horizon. Just sounds like you were hungover yourself.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Half way after 30 minutes?
No half way is around 40 mins. I started lagging on last 10 mins. 14 mph average and lower. Also its about a 25 mile circuit. I have an electrolyte tablet in my water bottle but I don't think they give you energy.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just have something to eat before you set off and take something you like to eat on the way round with you. Unless you're some sort of pro it doesn't really matter so long as there's enough of it and you enjoy it. I've variously taken cheese sandwiches, bananas, scotch eggs as well as the more usual things like malt loaf, flapjack, granola bars etc

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Just have something to eat before you set off and take something you like to eat on the way round with you. Unless you're some sort of pro it doesn't really matter so long as there's enough of it and you enjoy it. I've variously taken cheese sandwiches, bananas, scotch eggs as well as the more usual things like malt loaf, flapjack, granola bars etc

Yeah I usually eat porridge or wheetabix before I go but i need something I can easily eat without faffing with wrappers. Would marzipan work? thats pure sugar isn't it? could cut a block off and put in one of my pockets.

I used to do 15 mile runs on no breakfast. A standard Sunday ride is 60 miles or so. Energy drink and a cake and coffee at half way. As has been said you don't bonk that early.

For iron distance events I will have energy drink and a Bento box with gingerbread men or flapjack in. Every 20 mins a bit to eat or drink.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Marzipan is ground almonds, sugar and egg whites usually. Actually not a bad energy bar but not easy to carry out of a wrapper as it’ll get pretty sticky and soft.

I use Nutri-Grain bars and can unwrap them with my teeth. Fig rolls are also good, but a bit claggy with a dry mouth. Flapjacks also good, whether homemade or bought. The pork pie suggestion gets a nod from me too.

In fact on my first ever 100 mile ride this weekend I ate everything from my list above, plus a bonus cheese sandwich at my parents’ at 72 miles. A bowl of granola before I went and then nothing until 25 miles in, which was more preemptive than reactive.

Top Bottom