What's a good thing to eat whilst riding for energy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
No half way is around 40 mins. I started lagging on last 10 mins. 14 mph average and lower. Also its about a 25 mile circuit. I have an electrolyte tablet in my water bottle but I don't think they give you energy.
eh…you said you bonked 30 mins in :scratch:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
In order to achieve a 30min bonk you would really have needed to be severely glycogen depleted before even starting the ride.

Something isn't adding up.

CXRAndy

Guru
You're experiencing, lack of endurance fitness. You need to build upto 4hr rides with steady pacing.

Dont eat sugary foods, they will give you a short boost then your body craves more.

Use plain slow release carbs, oats, nuts, fats, maybe a banana too Drink only water. After a few months of building endurance whilst teaching your body to use fats as the primary source of energy. You should be better able to go further with less fuel

That doesn't mean you dont eat in rides, just a little less and foods which dont crash you after a boost.

Most riders can around 90mins without fuel before glycogen stores start to become depleted. So fuel every 30mins with a little plain food.

Dont get me wrong, gels have a use, but later on big rides, when fatigue is creeping in and a kick to get you over the line is useful, but not at the start of big rides

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As a lumpy drink normally ^_^

xx(

I remember as schoolies one of my mates climbing a hill and somehow one of his bars of Kendal mint cake had fallen from his pocket and was balanced on his bottom bracket shell. Couldn't do that again if he tried.

I think mintcake isn't that ideal tbh. Gels and bars seem to stand up better.

Top Bottom