What's a reasonable rate of pay for temp work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
And I mean very temporary, temp work.
We have someone available to come in and help out, on a very casual basis, but I have no idea how much to offer. Any ideas what the sort of going rate is?

He's over 40.
The work is laboratory based, but very mundane type duties.
It is on an as and when basis, probably just a handful of Hours here and there.

It's obviously got to be worth his while, and I'll discuss rates with him later on but I'm thinking of offering £10.00/Hour, does that seem reasonable?
It obviously has to be worth his while but without making the work unviable.

ChrisKH

Guru
Depends on a large number of factors including what he is prepared to accept. I recall having to work for very low rates of pay when I was made redundant many years ago purely to put bread on the table. A week earlier I would have laughed at the rate I was paid. What the market rate is for temps, in your industry, is a good guide. Generally temp. work pays higher than the hourly rate that an equivalent permanent position pays due to the short term nature of the role, uncertainty, lack of benefits, etc.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
That's great, thanks for the reply.
I'll use that as a starting block then and see how it goes.

He's actually given up full time work and is scratching a living as a sculpter but welcomes a bit of extra cash, and a chance to get out of the house.
My problem is I know I'm a bit soft and will tend to be over generous if anything!
Has to be worth his while though, he has to travel a fair distance and the work will be infrequent and sporadic.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
But don't forget he's doing you a favour as well as you helping his finances - not many temps would want to come in for only a few hours 'as and when'.

Greedo

Phone a couple of agencies and tell them the role and what it should pay. Take the average and use that as your guide.

Failing that just ask him what he wants and negotiate from there

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Panter said:
Thanks all, much appreciated.
I've offered the £10.00/Hour and he's happy with that so all's well :whistle:

I expect he would be, I'd be extremely happy with that versus other lab jobs I've applied for in the past and general working conditions offered. Good to see there are some good employers out there.

Lizban

Of course he is happy - seems a very good rate c£21k a year if full time.

Bandini

marinyork said:
Lab work is highly sort after, I'd say that rate is too high.

Me too. Think of a fair rate, halve it, and take off a bit more just to let the feckless little toe rag know who is in f'kin charge.

Have to note though, that the OP said a 'fair rate' - not 'what can I get away with - assuming I have no scruples or concern for other human beings'

TVC

Sounds pretty good, if you'd got him through an agency they would be paying him minimum wage.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all :tongue:

Yup, I'm not interested in screwing people for what I can get, it's probably where I go wrong :smile:
I can't pay him the same Hourly rate as the other technicians, because it's a few hours here and there, it has to suit both parties.

Ok, you can argue that it's then not fair on the existing guys but I'm sure they'd rather have the security (or as secure as anything can be at the moment) of full time employment rather than working a few Hours here and there.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The Velvet Curtain said:
Sounds pretty good, if you'd got him through an agency they would be paying him minimum wage.

The agency would pay him the minimum wage, and would charge 50% on top of that to Panter (totalling approx £10 per hour by my calculations). The advantage to Panter is a direct relationship with his new "as and when required" employee.

When I have been on similar contracts, it was usual to receive 11 or 12 per cent over the contracted rate to compensate for lack of paid holidays etc. It was a bonus if I received that, I did not assume that I would get it.

Top Bottom