What's all this about cable rub protection???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

I have no idea what it's all about, I presume that the gear and brake cables rub the paint, and you can buy something to stop it? Just noticed this morning the chain has rubbed the frame just underneath it :sad:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is exactly what you presume.

You need to buy a chainstay protector (this will stop the chain doing the damage you describe) and some adhesive patches to stick on the frame where the cables rub.

Norm

I use clear plastic patches to stop cables rubbing the paint, and Lizardskins protectors on the chain stay, although they do get covered in oil and cack back there.

sabian92

Über Member
But to be honest unless you keep your bike in a padded room hanging from the ceiling you're going to scratch and ding it anyway. I wouldn't waste the money.

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

arghhhhh, wish I'd have known this earlier!!! I have a chainstay protector somewhere, didn't know what it was till I just looked up what that part of the bike is called!

GrasB

Veteran
But to be honest unless you keep your bike in a padded room hanging from the ceiling you're going to scratch and ding it anyway. I wouldn't waste the money.
Cable rub can be terminal. Here's a case on some forks which came off a 'bent (the front mech cable was allowed to contact the fork.
cable rub.jpg

Before people go off about carbon I'll point out that the aluminium crown the carbon is bonded to has been worn away by the cable!

So would you prefer to throw away a 50p bit of tape or £125 worth of forks? BTW it's worth buying a roll of 'helicopter tape', something like this

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cable rub can be terminal. Here's a case on some forks which came off a 'bent (the front mech cable was allowed to contact the fork.
View attachment 11381
Before people go off about carbon I'll point out that the aluminium crown the carbon is bonded to has been worn away by the cable!

So would you prefer to throw away a 50p bit of tape or £125 worth of forks? BTW it's worth buying a roll of 'helicopter tape', something like this

You beat me to it :tongue: Was thinking exactly the same thing.

Nebulous

Guru
I have an alloy bike and the cables have rubbed right through the paint and begun to make inroads on the metal, before I bought tape. I've just bought another commuter/ tourer, and guess what? I put on tape as soon as I got it home from the shop.

Top Bottom