What's happened to lasagne verdi sheets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Also, will this be something that Peter Kay is pretending to remember in 20 years?

"Remember green lasagne? What was that all about?" (hilarity ensues)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Odd. Lasagne is a feminine plural so the colour green ought to be verde.
Well yes. I thought the same, but google auto-corrects lasagne verde to lasagna verde (presumably singular). And as well as Barilla, Waitrose believes that it's lasagne verdi. As does no less an authority than the Accademia Italiana di cucina.

A bit of a google search points out that verde derives from the Latin 3rd decelension viridis rather than the more conventional 1st/2nd declension adjectives which have become -o/-i and -a/-e in masculine and feminine respectively. So I suspect that verde is an adjective that doesn't change with gender, and the plural is verdi in both genders.

Oh, and for fun, lasagna comes "from Latin lasanum ‎(“cooking pot”), from Ancient Greek λάσανον ‎(lásanon,“trivet or stand for a pot”), pl. λάσανα ‎(lásana). Others argue the Italian lasagna originally derived from the Arabic (Semitic) lawzinaj ("almond cake")."

TreeHuggery

Haven't been able to find spinach lasagne for a couple of years now ;-(

haven't been able to find Heinz baked beans with veggie sausages for even longer......

Top Bottom