What's in a seat/saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

I have not upgraded any of my bike components as yet and wasn't intending to but wondered whether there is any benefit in upgrading a saddle? Being 21st, I feel every bump in the road and by the time I return home, I cannot sit down! I have purchased myself some cycling shorts from Decathlon, although I am upgrading these to their 900 road bike range, hopefully for better comfort! I wondered whether I would feel more comfort with a different saddle? Any suggestions/replies/ideas greatly received...

Lozz360

Veteran
Saddles are very personal. I could tell you that the saddle I have is the dogs whatsits but the same saddle could be totally wrong for you. Before you go spending your hard earned cash on a new saddle, are you confident that you have your bike set up right for you? If not, posting a photo of you on your bike from the side will give those in the know on this forum a chance to advise on how to make your bike more comfortable.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
You probably would, but there may be a bit of trial and error involved.

What saddle do you have now? And is the discomfort on the sit bones, inside of the thighs, or both?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Definitely worth upgrading the saddle - and the seatpost too.

The main thing to look for in the saddle is that it fits your shape, specifically that it supports your sit bones. Worth trying a few. Don't necessarily look for one with lots of padding as this isn't necessarily beneficial and can cause other problems.

There are lots of seatposts with clever suspension features that should also help to soften your ride a bit - eg Canyon VCLS, Specialized CG-R, USE Vybe.

Also look at your saddle position (height and fore/aft adjustment) - worth thinking about getting a proper bike fit to ensure everything on the bike is set up for optimum comfort. Even small adjustments can potentially make a big difference.

MiK1138

Veteran
There is no definitive answer saddles are purely subjective, on My Roadie I use a Fizik Arione its what was on the bike when i bought it, I tried a different saddle but ended up going back to a Fizik, on my Hybrid i have a Brooks B17. I took a gamble on this as it was a ridiculous low price ( What with work and BC discounts) and I love it took a couple of hundred miles to bed in but it is like your favorite armchair ON your bike, but not everyone gets on with them. most retailers have a sit bone measuring device which should help you choose the right saddle for you.

Spoons47

There is no definitive answer saddles are purely subjective, on My Roadie I use a Fizik Arione its what was on the bike when i bought it, I tried a different saddle but ended up going back to a Fizik, on my Hybrid i have a Brooks B17. I took a gamble on this as it was a ridiculous low price ( What with work and BC discounts) and I love it took a couple of hundred miles to bed in but it is like your favorite armchair ON your bike, but not everyone gets on with them. most retailers have a sit bone measuring device which should help you choose the right saddle for you.

Couldn’t agree more! Having been tweaking my bike fit for a few days now, sit bones was an important aspect for me to get comfy.

MikeG

Guru
As well as all the above, saddles are a toughening-up process. The most perfectly suited saddle in the world will feel like a torture device for the first week or two that you use it, particularly if you haven't ridden for a while. This goes away as the muscles you are sitting on turn from being flabby to hard, and I'm afraid the only way to get through this is to grit your teeth and get on with it.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
If you do have a go at adjusting saddle height ect take pic's and measurements before you do. so you have an idea how it was in case you need to go back. I'm still not over sure I have it right but it can be a lot of try and see. Think I need a good clear afternoon to have a good old look and give things a good look over. As for saddles like most will say it's a personal thing. I've not changed anything on mine either I did find a good pair of shorts worked wonders. Can't say I don't know about being sat on bike but it's not uncomfortable or painful and I don't long to get off it so it's not something I can't cope with.

Many on here say try a charge spoon saddle cheep enough give a go. Just fitted one for Mrs 73 it's early day's but she say's it's better than the old one.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Definitely worth upgrading the saddle - and the seatpost too..

I'll second the seatpost suggestion, at the start of this year I upgraded mine to carbon (RSP Elite) and was surprised the difference it made to ride comfort, it really helps to iron out the bumps. It was a very reasonable price from Tredz but is sadly no longer available, although they do have a Tifosi carbon post for sale @ ~£34 at the moment:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tifosi-Carbon-Seatpost_43077.htm

You can also get another £5 off if you sign to their newsletter ;)

OP
OP
The 300lb Cyclist
Afternoon All,

Firstly, many thanks for all of your replies - they all make good sense and are viable options/suggestions and certainly suggestions I will look into and consider further. The more I read the above and think about my journey so far, I have to realise I guess that I have only been cycling for approx. 4 weeks. In this time, I have gone from 0 miles to what will probably be approx. 200 miles by the end of the week. Yes, I know it is not huge distances but at 21 stone on a road bike with very little flex, I guess it will hurt a little bit. And actually, as I think about it further, it is getting easier. I should add too that I don't get out of the saddle often either once I get going. All of my climbs are done in the saddle so far, with just the occasional stand up when i'm coasting/free-rolling or whatever the term might be.

So thanks again, I will of course consider these suggestions further and in the meantime, I will man-up! (apologies if anyone is offended by that!)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
IMHO 4 weeks isn't enough time to decide you need to change the saddle. You will ache/get sore at first even on a perfect saddle.

If you are sore then my advice, make sure you use clean shorts for every ride and get showered/bathed after every ride. Buy some sudcrem.

If you ache, then you just need to ride through it, it will get better.

You can get your sit bones measured, all you do is sit on a padded seat and it shows you what width saddle you need.

Enjoy the riding.

IMHO 4 weeks isn't enough time to decide you need to change the saddle. You will ache/get sore at first even on a perfect saddle.

If you are sore then my advice, make sure you use clean shorts for every ride and get showered/bathed after every ride. Buy some sudcrem.

If you ache, then you just need to ride through it, it will get better.

You can get your sit bones measured, all you do is sit on a padded seat and it shows you what width saddle you need.

Enjoy the riding.
Yip I agree 100% 4 weeks is not long enough to toughen up your bum muscles.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If I weighed as much as the OP I would be knocking around on an MTB with nice comfy bump-absorbing 2" wide tyres, not a road bike, until I had shed several stones. I doubt the problem lies with just the saddle, it will be the frame geometry and the tyres as much as anything.

Boon 51

Veteran
Make sure the saddle is level and at the right height? Go to a shop that has a saddle sizer so they can measure you. The more distance you ride the firmer the saddle wants to be. The lycra shorts will need to have red padding as this gives better protection for your bum but buy a good pair of shorts you will get the benefit over a cheaper pair. As been said give it more time and as you get lighter/ fitter things will get better.

Top Bottom