Whats next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Chuffed to bits. Rode off on a swanky, new bike.
… to win another Tour de France?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also look out for "Reliability Trials". The name does not really describe what they are. They usually take place in Jan/Feb and were the predecessors of so called sportives. Much more informal and probably about a fiver to take part. They are usually early season warm up events for club riders, but you just go round at whatever pace is comfortable to you.
Beware: not all seem to run like that any more. Some of them seem to have become basically club-ride-seeding races with start waves with vague names like "espresso", "cappucino" and "latte" with different start times but each wave basically full of people trying to hammer round the course to be hailed as the "winner" of their wave on social media later in the day. As far as I can tell, submitting a GPX has replaced route card stamps, so now no stopping is required. So, I now "look out for" certain ones, but to avoid their route if possible :sad:

As ever, ask questions about a new event with a new group. If they won't answer friendly questions from a newcomer, I tend to think they're a bunch of selfish self-gratification artists I probably don't want to ride with anyway ;)

johnblack

Über Member
Beware: not all seem to run like that any more. Some of them seem to have become basically club-ride-seeding races with start waves with vague names like "espresso", "cappucino" and "latte" with different start times but each wave basically full of people trying to hammer round the course to be hailed as the "winner" of their wave on social media later in the day. As far as I can tell, submitting a GPX has replaced route card stamps, so now no stopping is required. So, I now "look out for" certain ones, but to avoid their route if possible :sad:

As ever, ask questions about a new event with a new group. If they won't answer friendly questions from a newcomer, I tend to think they're a bunch of selfish self-gratification artists I probably don't want to ride with anyway ;)
I was going to say the same thing, some reliability rides are nothing more than an early season man-off, choose wisely.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom