Whats the adaptor called for mtb callipers on cx's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I have the chance to get some avid BB7's quite cheap, but they are the mtb not road version, someone mentioned that there is some sort of adaptor that you can get for the mtb versions to make them work on CX frames ??

What's the name of such a device ? And the cost ?

Many thanks

Gaz

Alun

Guru
"Travel Agent" is one of them.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
FWIW, I didn't know travel agents worked for disc brakes.

yeah they're good. like when putting V's on a canti equipped drop bar cx-bike. Avoids the hideous mush you get otherwise.

Mind you under the circs I'd prob go bar end shifters and dedicated V brake drop bar levers.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Gaz, the gizmos are Travel Agents but they are not cheap and I wasn't overly impressed when I tried them, fiddly to setup and you will find reviews of them wearing the cables more. No matter how good the deal on the MTB BB7s is, Travel Agents on top will take you a long way towards road BB7 prices anyway. Plus I'm guessing the good price means second hand, which may mean new pads/rotors arise far sooner than otherwise and they aren't cheap.

Given that you can get the same caliper in long pull or short pull then I personally would avoid adaptors to make disparate parts work together.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What bike's this going on Gaz?

If it doesn't have a disc ready fork/frame, it won't work in any case. (The only CX I see in your line up is the Uncle John).

Greg: I keep thinking along those lines (barcons & v/canti levers) for the tourer, but STi has made me lazy :smile: Maybe if I get a dedicated commuter for the Tiagra levers to live on...

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Just exercise a bit of caution, if you are having close calls with peds on a shared use path it's not the braking power at fault, or the peds.

Who mentioned close calls ? Or that I not cautious ?

I want proper stopping power in order to ensure that if anything does happen out of the blue, then I'm covered, also when on road all it takes is for a car to pull out of a side Rd when it shouldn't and I don't have the stoping power needed

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Looking at PX's readers-rides ( sadly, unrelated to readers wives) someone had added hope hydro disks to a Uncle John with drop bars ( on the flats) and kept the road sti levers, has anyone here done that ? I really want to keep drops and sti's however hydraulic disk brakes are where it's at tbh

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gaz, the gizmos are Travel Agents but they are not cheap and I wasn't overly impressed when I tried them, fiddly to setup and you will find reviews of them wearing the cables more. No matter how good the deal on the MTB BB7s is, Travel Agents on top will take you a long way towards road BB7 prices anyway. Plus I'm guessing the good price means second hand, which may mean new pads/rotors arise far sooner than otherwise and they aren't cheap.

Given that you can get the same caliper in long pull or short pull then I personally would avoid adaptors to make disparate parts work together.

Duly noted, thanks buddy

Top Bottom