Whats the best 5 door hatchback out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I know its subjective but let me have your opinions on the best 5 door hatchback:smile:.

Has to be an automatic transmission and be economical and not cost an arm and a leg for insurance. Not sure about price yet, so just want to hear any good / bad experiences etc.

Ta in advance :laugh::smile:

Greedo

BigonaBianchi said:
I know its subjective but let me have your opinions on the best 5 door hatchback:smile:.

Has to be an automatic transmission and be economical and not cost an arm and a leg for insurance. Not sure about price yet, so just want to hear any good / bad experiences etc.

Ta in advance :laugh::smile:

Can never go wrong with a Golf. Had a couple years ago. Great cars.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Brahan said:
VW Golf. Had one for about 6 years it's brilliant and has never let me down.

Golf is the most over-rated hatchback on the market. They are NOT that reliable (a Skoda, Seat or Audi A3 are the same basic car, but more reliable), and frankly, so dull it is un-surpassable. TBH, any car should last 6 years without letting you down.

If you want a car that beeps at you just because it can, get a Golf or a Peugeot. Golf - beep, you've got in the car, put the key in the ignition, but not put your seatbelt on yet. OK, the car is in neutral, the engine is off, but I'll remind you anyway. Oh, yes, and it is 6°C outside and pissing it down, but I'll warn you of a possible ice problem. And you have just passed under the shaddow of a tree, so I'll turn the headlights on. Want to change the headlamp bulb? Engine out for you sir. Want to check the washer bottle level? No chance - we've hidden it out of sight.

The Ford Focus is a better car, and not as fashionable, so a lot better value. Peugeot have a few reliability problems at the moment. Don't get much factory help from Rovers.

(yes, I do have a bit of an irrational dislike for Golfs)

rikki

Legendary Member
We have a Honda Jazz. Very good space inside with tricky folding rear seats, and good fuel economy. We love it.

I think it's better priced here in Australia (compared to alternative vehicles) because we have a free trade agreement with Thailand (where it's made).

Excellent small car though.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Golf or Civic

reliable and will take a bike in the boot!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Aperitif said:
I had a Sunbeam which was brilliant - and a silver Horizon which was a heap of < use your own> :smile:

A Renault Scenic was absolutely the best, most load carrying, easy to drive car I have used.
Old shape and new.

There certainly is a mass of room in them with a relatively small (ish) feel. I have one now and after BMW's and Audi's it is taking a bit of getting used to but its frighteningly practical and very comfortable on long drives!!

If price is not an issue I would get a 123d BMW or TDI A3. Although a TDCI Focus will go forever and can get a cracking one for under 5k.

potsy

Rambler
Citroen C4 had it since new nearly 4 years old now,never put a foot wrong.
Not an automatic though and it's a diesel.It's gone from doing 10,000 miles a year to about 2,000 now-poor thing:biggrin:

mr Mag00

rising member
1.6 hdi same bhp as my old 1.9tdi a4. looking forward to a summer of camping and racing using the pug. said years ago i never liked them having had 2, they have really upped their game i have to say :ohmy:

Top Bottom